Chapter 28 - Baby Steps

Criticism spot! :)

Crutchie's POV

I was woken up by the bell, and my breathing immediately began to pick up as I started to panic. I sat up and looked around, feeling unsure of where I was. Jack sat up with me, trying to look me in the eyes.

"Hey, ground yourself," Jack said quietly, and I looked back at him. "Do what Race said, look around at where you are." I looked away from him and studied what was around me, still feeling a little dazed.

There's a dresser on the left wall, and dim light overhead. I'm in a bed right now, and there's a second bed pushed up against it to make it bigger, and that's what Jack is sitting on. There are two nightstands on each side of the bed, so there's no way I'm at home. I'm at the lodging house. 

I put my head in my hands, starting to calm down. Jack put his arms around me, pulling me in against his chest. He gently played with my hair while I continued to relax, which made me feel even better.

"You aren't a problem or anything like that, okay?" Jack said quietly, knowing that I was going to apologize at any moment. I nodded to show him I understood, and looked up at him. "Did Race's idea work?"

"Mhm, it worked really well." He smiled, and I managed to smile back. 

"You still want to sell?" I nodded again, sitting up so I was no longer resting against Jack. "Alright, but before you change I'm gonna look at those cuts on your back, okay?" 

"Fine," I joked, making him chuckle. I took off my shirt and he studied my back closely, eventually handing me a new shirt. "They okay?" I asked, and he nodded.

"How's your foot doing, ya know, with those burns?" I sighed, looking to my foot, even though it was covered by a sock.

"It hurts pretty bad, but it's getting better." Jack finished changing and walked back over to the bed, gently pushing my hair back.

"And you're sure you want to sell?" He asked one more time, and I laughed at him.

"Yes, I'm sure," I jokingly rolled my eyes, and Jack helped me to stand. "Why're you so worried?" I finally asked, and he tensed up.

"I just- I'm worried that someone might say something that'll... Scare you or somethin'." I smiled kindly, already calming his nerves.

"I get that, but if I just stay here then I'll never get any better. I have a few methods that work for me, and even though it might be harder than usual to use them, I'm ready." Jack then kissed me on the forehead, smiling.

"And you say that you're weak," I only smiled more as he spoke, my face getting hot.

We joined up with Race and Romeo on our walk, and it didn't take too long for us to strike up a conversation as though nothing had happened within the last few days. I could tell Race was surprised to see me, but he didn't say anything, which I appreciated. As we waited for the Delancey's to unlock the gate, Morris chuckled once he saw me, and I knew that he was about to make some stupid comment. I made sure to prepare myself, not wanting to risk flying into a panic attack. 

"Looks like Jack has his pet back!" Morris said, and thankfully, it didn't bother me. Jack, Race, and Romeo got far more upset than I did, and Romeo got inches away from Morris.

"You better watch your damn mouth," he spat, surprising all three of us. Jack pulled him away, but I could tell he was still pretty upset himself. He then looked at me, likely expecting to see me sobbing.

"You alright?" He asked, and I smiled.

"Mhm," I nodded, and he smiled back. 

We got in line and I listened to the three of them talk, as I usually didn't join in the conversation anyways. This time, however, I was staying quiet because of how exhausted I already felt, and how bad my foot had begun to hurt. Out of the corner of my eye I noticed a couple of guys who had already gotten their papes looking at me, and I immediately tensed up and tried to listen to what they were saying.