Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Tara stormed in the very busy kitchen of Versatile and went straight to her office that was located in the back. She bypassed the dozens of chefs who were dashing from corner to corner of the kitchen to prepare the guest meals. It was always busy at the restaurant and since it was what Tara called it, 'Lunch Madness', it was going crazy.

Once on her office, Tara slammed the door and sunk against it. Trying to catch her breath, she also tried to wrap her mind about what happened just a while ago.

Nathan Phillips...

When she saw, in the corner of her eyes, him walking  towards her and his father, she smelt trouble. The way his steps and strides came off powerful. The scent of his expensive cologne tickling her nostrils and announcing his arrival before he stepped foot in the room. His tailored made Armani suit was well fitted and she could tell that he stayed in the gym by his built and brawny muscles that was shaped through his suit.

When he came up closer... Good Gawd. All she wants to do was lick his face and indulge in him but she had to keep it together. A good word to describe him was definitely narcissistic. Cocky in every aspect and every way. She tried her best to put her game face on and act like he didn’t effect her. It sure was tough.

When he took her hand in his, Tara immediately wanted to pull away but he had a steady grip on hers. Caressing her with his thumb sent chills down her spine and Tara had a feeling that she this wouldn’t be the last time they would see each other. And if  her senses wasn’t correct then the validation of Mr. Phillips saying that they would be working together for the Christmas party was it.

Tara really need this break. Versatile Kitchen  had one foot in the door of the culinary art world and with the help of one of the biggest sports agencies in the United States, she planned to get the other one in.

All she had to do was keep her mind on what was in front of her and not on the egotistical Nathan Phillips. She wouldn’t let him or anyone else come in the way of her goals.

To keep her mind off of things, Tara began to put her chef coat but when the door opened.

“Tara, what's wrong," Angelo Costa, one of Tara’s assistant chefs asked.

Angelo had a very deep background in culinary arts, along with her, they studied underneath the wing of one of the best Italian chefs in Italy. Studying abroad was one of the highlights of Tara’s life so far, especially when her best friend for over ten years, Angelo was right beside her.

When she came to him with a proposition, Angelo was quite hesitant but he knew that with them two together, they would reach their goals. Putting all their savings together and finding the perfect spot to have the restaurant was challenging but in all came together. Now all they needed was to do some networking and spread the word about Versatile Kitchen.

“Nothing, Angelo. Why?”

“You ran through the kitchen like a bat out of hell,” he explained.

Tara laughed and played it off. “I’m fine,” she told him but Tara knew he didn’t believe her. “I just came back from P & J Sports Agency, remember I had a meeting with the owner, Mr.Phillips.”

Angelo closed the door and walked quickly up to Tara. “What happened? What did he say?”

“Calm down Angel,” she giggled. “He’s letting Versatile Kitchen cater his Christmas Party and if things go well maybe his New Years Eve party and not to mention some wealthy clients to go along with it.”

Angelo put his hand over his chest. “My God. Its finally happening,” he said. “This could be our big break Tara! I write up a menu right now-”

“Wait, Angelo,” Tara stopped him. “We have to have a meeting first.

“So...” he started, “when is it?”

“I gave Nathan my business car-”

“Hold on, who is Nathan?” He asked her, causing her to blush.”

“He’s Mr. Phillips son,” she clarified. “We’re going to be working with him for the Christmas party,” Tara carried on.

Once Tara was finish putting her coat on, she walked out of her office with Angelo in tow.

“Thee Nathan Phillips? Working with him?” Angelo questioned with an attitude.. “Does he know how to cook? ”

“Of course not Angelo!” Tara hissed. “He’s a sports agent.”

“Humph, I know what he is Tara!” He retorted. “And he happens to be ten feet away from you.”

“What?” Tara shrieked, while trying to contain herself.

Sure enough, Nathan Phillips were making those same powerful strides towards her and Angelo. His head held high with confidence and his hands in his pockets. As much chaos as it was in the kitchen, it seem like everyone was making room for him to pass them by.

Angelo decided to walk away from Tara but she wasn’t having it. “Where are you going,” she asked desperately.

“Back to work,” he said simply. “Besides, seems like he only has eyes for you,” he joked.

Tara didn’t find anything funny by that statement. She took a deep breath and turned around facing him.

“What are you doing here?” Tara fussed, trying to sound believable.

Nathan smirked. “I thought I come by and take a look at what my father praises,” he explained. “And also to take the head chef to lunch.”

“Sorry, but the head chef is busy as you can see,” Tara said, gesturing towards the kitchen. “Now if you can get out.”

“Ms. Evans, you’re not trying to get rid of me are you?”

“Mr. Phillips-”

“Mr. Phillips is my father, I’m Nathan,” he interrupted her. Nathan closed the distance between them.

Tara carefully stepped back away from him. She shook her head. “Sorry, but I’m busy,” she said. “See yourself out.”  

She turned to go and help her staff but stop when Nathan said, “Ms. Evans, you will come to lunch with me. Or you can kiss catering to my agency goodbye.”

That sounded like a threat to Tara and she didn’t do too well with threats. But she need this more than anything. She looked across the room and saw Angelo chopping ingredients swiftly. Tara didn’t want to disappoint him. All the hard work, dedication and trust they put in each other would have been for nothing. So at that point, Tara made a decision. Having lunch wouldn’t do no harm anyways. Right?

She turned to go towards her office. “Where are you going?” Nathan questioned.

“To take off my jacket,” she answered him pointing to her chef coat. “Is that ok with you?”

“More than ok,” he smiled. “I’ll be waiting.

Tara didn’t like they way he talked to her. He was definitely up to something and soon she would find out what that ‘something’ was.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Hopefully you like the new update. Short but to the point. Its going to get better ;)

Updates will be kind of slow, because I'm back in school, just a little heads up.

Let me know what you think!

Comment

Vote

&& Fan;)

~Vicky xoxo