Think: Chapter Sixty-One: An Icy-Hot Comfort

Start from the beginning

"S-Shoto, p-please wake up," you said in a muffled voice. You peeked your head up from his arms, which had loosened significantly after grabbing you, but he still hadn't let go. If you were stuck there any longer, you were concerned you might faint. He smelled of peppermint and fresh rain. It was utterly intoxicating, and you weren't sure how anyone's breath could actually smell remotely good in the middle of the night. You had a half a mind not to move, feeling secure in the hug that Shoto had put you in, but the other half of your mind knew that was absolutely absurd. If anyone knew you were together in the same room after curfew, you were certain Aizawa would find out. And, if Aizawa found out, you were definitely going to get in more trouble than just a firm talking to.

You shifted again, attempting fruitlessly to squirm your way out of his muscular arms. Suddenly, Shoto's body stiffened, and when you looked up again, his dual-colored eyes met your hazel ones. He froze in place, blinking a few times before realizing what was going on wasn't a dream. He released you, hands hovering near you but not touching you any longer.

"You're awake," he said. "I'm glad."

"What do you mean?" you asked, sitting up.

Shoto rolled over, rubbing sleep from his eyes and getting up unsteadily. He hid a yawn behind the back of his hand. "I found you outside my door. You were aimlessly walking into it, and as soon as I opened the entryway, you strolled right in." Shoto leveled his gaze with yours. "I tried to ask you what was going on. I even tried to get you to sit down, but it didn't go very well. I guess that's why they tell people not to wake a sleepwalker." He scratched the back of his head, looking away.

"D-did I do something weird? I'm sorry," you said.

Shoto shrugged. "It wasn't a big deal. You kind of force pushed me across the room."

"Oh no! Are you hurt? Don't tell me I injured you," you said, rushing up to his side and checking him over.

Shoto took a step back, holding up his hand. You pulled back, worried you might have frightened him or something.

"Please, don't be concerned about me. I'm just glad you're okay. I suppose you were trying to get this." He held up his wrist, showing you your bracelet and key. "You whipped it at me when your mind had pushed me back. I didn't want to lose it so I put it on." Shoto took the bracelet off, slipping it effortlessly onto your wrist. His fingers lingered on your skin, before he abruptly pulled back again. "I apologize...I..." Shoto leaned back.

You turned toward the gifts on the floor. "Are these for me?" you asked.

Shoto focused on the collection of objects, angling his face from yours again. "I thought you might leave, and I wasn't sure when I could give them to you. You appeared troubled, so I thought they might have been something nice to wake up to." Shoto rubbed the back of his neck. "I know you told me I don't need to get you anything, but I couldn't help myself. It never seemed like the right time to give them to you." His hair shielded his face as he bent down. He hastily started collecting the presents. "I'll clean these up. It was foolish of me to put them around you. It could have been dangerous. Besides, you probably never wanted them anyway. Please accept my apologies. I was not fully awake when I did this."

"You don't have to apologize," you said in a small voice, watching him pick up each thoughtful gift as if you were in a trance.

"I should have restrained myself from purchasing anything for you. You were explicit in telling me not to," Shoto continued.

"It's okay."

Shoto paused on the necklace box. You watched him wince. He shook his head. "Our memories have been tainted. It's my fault. I shouldn't think that small presents can fix anything that happened between us. I thought as your friend it would still be fine though." He placed the small jewelry case with great care into his pajama pant pocket.