26

(a/n: hi peeps :) i just wanted to say hello and also give a gigantic thank you out to each and everyone reading this. I know i repeat myself quite often but it can't be said enough that i am so thankful for every read, comment and vote I get. i'd lie if i'd say that your kindness doesn't make me emotional sometimes and I don't even know what to say honestly. y'all are the best of people <3)

Turns out that Helen and Vaela had prepared goulash for everyone, with cooked beef for the three of you and with raw meat for Alcina and her daughters. You didn't bother to ask what kind they would get, simply because you certainly didn't want to know. You're sure it consists of human remains though.

Vaela leaves you and Helen alone for a bit to bring the daughters their meals since you are not sure if Cassandra feels well enough to come to the dining room. In the mean time, Helen brings your plates to the gigantic dining table and it is weird sitting there without the usual chatting of the other maidens.
Neither you or her say a word until Vaela returns and you remain silent while the women start chatting again. You're simply not really in the mood to talk anymore.

,,Y/N, I'm sure you will return to the lady's chambers now", Helen says when you get up to bring your plate back to the kitchen and you give the woman a little nod. ,,There's a plate for her as well. You can take that with you".
,,I will", you say, before you enter the kitchen and take the bowl with Alcinas meal. You place it on a tray, alongside with a spoon and you plan on grabbing a bottle of wine for her on the way back. You hope it will help her regain her energy quicker and maybe it will also put a little smile on her face.

You open the door to her chambers quietly, your eyes falling on her figure that is lying on the bed and your lips curl upwards. She's still asleep.

,,Alcina?", you say when you put the tray down on her nightstand and after a few moments of her not reacting you climb onto the bed and shake her shoulders gently, repeating her name a little louder.
At first you can only hear her mumble something into the pillow, then she slowly rolls over on her back and she looks at you with a sleepy expression on her face.
,,Yes?", she says, her voice sounding hoarse and you watch her scrunching her face in pain when she tries to sit up straight so you place a hand on her lower arm and shake your head.
,,Stay like this. You should avoid using your shoulder for now", you tell her and Alcina lets out a sigh, but she nods in agreement and her head sinks back into the pillows.

,,I can't believe that… Man-thing caused this", she groans and you carefully place your hand on top of hers, not sure if she's okay with that gesture. She doesn't even hesitate to interlace her fingers with yours and you catch a little smile appearing on her lips.

,,It'll be alright", you say ,,Give it one, two days and you'll be pain-free again".
You run your thumb over the side of her hand and look up to her again. ,,But that'll only work if you rest".
,,I will", Alcina nods and her eyes stare up to the ceiling now ,,If you'll stay with me for those two days".

,,Of course", you say softly, your gaze trailing over her face slowly and she doesn't seem to mind your staring at all.
Maybe she got used to it by now.

A day later Alcinas wound was a bit better already, yet you didn't let her leave her bed, what she wasn't quite fond of, though she accepted it and you spent the entire morning in her room.
Both of you have a book in your hands, you have your head rested against her side and she gently runs her fingers through your hair, a gesture that is not only comforting but incredibly calming.

The silence is only interrupted by the soft music coming from the record player and somewhen you close your eyes, fully taking the moment in.
This definitely is not what you imagined your life to be when you left the orphanage. It certainly is so much better than anything you ever thought it would be like.