Dirty Secrets And Pretty Lies

As night rolled around, the cold settled in. The leaves were changing and falling all around the campsite. Bodies were buried and people grew quiet. Some fought over food rations while others tried to stock up just in case. Fact of the matter is none of us knew how long we were going to be here, I watched people leave in the middle of the night to who knows where- maybe even back to...

Martin.

        I shuddered and squeezed my shaking body tighter as if that could possibly help retain body heat. I gave up my pillow and blanket to someone else because well, I got everyone into this situations anyways.

        My body was falling asleep, tilting over until I snapped back to reality and focused on the fire in front of me. The fire was in fact probably the most lively being on this whole campsite, no signs of dwindling. Guess that made me lucky.

"Ayla..."

         I gasped and quickly turned around with my hand on my stuttering heartbeat. "Are you kidding me, Jack?" I whispered harshly.

          He couldn't help but grin which made me feel hot, "Sorry. I couldn't sleep and heard your inner-monologue so I thought I'd come see what you were doing."

          I rolled my eyes and turned back around. "Can't sleep either."

          "Looks to me like you just don't have a sleeping bag."

          I sat silently before sighing and sinking into my knees, "Someone asked for it and I thought it was the least I can do."

           "That sounds like you." He crouched beside me with his hands stretched in front of him, taking in the warmth from the fire. "I'm surprised you're even brave enough to be out here by yourself."

         "Shut up!" I surprised myself by snapping. "That's not helping when I know you can hear the guilt in this inner-monologue. I'm surprised you're even talking to me considering whatever the heck that was earlier." I didn't really mean to snap but his behavior bothered me.

         I heard his breath waver. "Come back to my tent with me and I'll tell you about it, I promise. I didn't tell you the truth because I didn't think I would have to but now we don't even have a base so..."

          Part of me still wanted to be mad at him for keeping something from me, but I also wondered what a secret of that magnitude really means. Did he no longer feel he could keep me safe?

          I stood up and followed him through the lantern path and into his own dark blue tent. All he had inside was a jacket and a blanket which made my heart ache from the drastic difference between his old room.

          "I know this might be a difficult and confusing time for you..." Jack zipped up the tent.

          I sat down and sighed, "It only ever gets more difficult and confusing."

           He sat beside me and draped his jacket over my bare arms. "That is partially my own fault. I was scared and unsure of what to do with the information your father told me. So I just chose to keep it secret until Mavis made it clear she knew."

"That's just not fair, Jack," I whispered.

         His silver eyes were glossy and I could see through the pale light soaking through the tent that he was chewing on his cheek. "I failed you, Ayla. And I'm so sorry."

         Looking away from him I felt tears smear down my face, wetting my dried lips. "If you would've just gave up, never came for me, let them change me-"