24

Yobanna

I was at the top of the staircase watching the flock of students milling around generally trying to socialize and make small talks.

Daddy Yo by Wizkid was bouncing across the really wide room. Precious' living room that was bigger than our hall in school and I was not exaggerating.

To be honest, I didn't know what Precious'dad was thinking when he allowed them to build his house like this, no caps, the house was beautiful, white walls and expensive looking couches that had been pushed to the very edge of the room.

Precious had made provision for neon lights to be turned on when the party began fully but for now, there was just a single bulb that was giving the room a bright hue.

Drinks passed around by ushers and buffet table filled with small chops, lots of them.

This party was definitely everything. I liked it.

St Louis girls were dressed to kill and I didn't fail to notice how they all laughing, some taking pictures and generally sipping from their glass as I was doing.

And somehow, two girls got into an argument and some loud cheers erupted and the song was changed to Ritmo(bad boys for life) by The black eyed pea  and before you know it , both girls were engaged in what looked like a dance battle, more like a twerk competition.

There were guys around them taking pictures and videos, and I took note to make sure I muted everyone, some people made it an habit to make their status look like waist beads, definitely not me seeing all that.

My phone was already buzzing, I clicked the WhatsApp icon and tapped on the messages, over 800+messages already and the party was yet to begin fully. I muted them.

I scrolled down, at the message I had sent to Selena since morning. No reply. I pushed the phone into my pocket in disappointment.

"Guy" Ken was suddenly standing beside me, unlike me that was wearing some turtle neck and plain trouser, Ken had actually been on his regular big vintage shirt and ripped trousers with a pair of sparking clean Air Jordans.

"This DJ was born for this work"He was holding his cup, gulping down the content.

"I swear down" I agreed. The DJ was good.

"Have you seen Dozie?" I asked him and he shook his head in negative.

I looked at my phone again,it was close to 9pm and no sign of this girl anywhere.

"What's eating you up,who are you expecting?"Ken suddenly asked me,I didn't want to look at him but when I did,he had this piercing gaze,like he was daring me to lie.

"My friend" I said through my teeth. He really had to stop looking at me like that.

"Hmm, since when did you start keeping friends?"He placed his hands on the railings.

" Since forever,guy stop giving that look" I snapped.

" It's your guilty conscience that's disturbing you"He laughed.

" You shouldn't be hiding stuffs from us,you and mystery girl abi, she's the friend"

" Which one is mystery girl again?"I chuckled.

" Selena abi is it selenium?"

"Don't spoil her name,it's Selena"I warned him.

" Ogbeni calm down, don't play the boy friend card on me"There was a way he was casually sipping from his cup and I felt like hitting his head. Annoying brat.

"It's cool you like someone."The music changed to some Naira Marley's song and a wild cheer erupted in the room,I found myself trying hard to keep up with the cheers over the song which I clearly didn't like.