Chapter 32: And in The Aftermath...

Even the aftermath is just the beginning, even if you thought the end has been brought. You lost everything, trying so hard to gain and you lost it all in the aftermath. You'll never get it back. It's gone.

In the aftermath of everything that Ingressus had done, an army stood strong through it all in his name, regardless of what was thrown in their direction. For them, it is over.

For another, it has only just begun...

Author's note: I spent so long completely clueless as to what to draw for this chapter and then it just all went so wrong so many times. I tried to be original, but I ended up keeping it in the Minecraft style and ended up doing all the details on my laptop because my tablet just said 'no' at the end of it XD

word wad in the end notes because I have a lot to say XD

brace yourselves

*********************

"Achillean?"

"..."

"Achillean, is that you?"

"Welcome home, Ingressus... It is nice to see you again, brother. Master Aegus and I have been waiting."

"Aegus? I don't- I can't- He- D-does he... Does he...forgive me? Can he, after...everything?"

"We all do."

"'All'? Is...father here, too?"

"We all are. We always have been..."

"All the time?"

"Every step of the way."

"..."

"We never doubted that you would do the right thing, Ingressus. Master Aegus said it from the start that you would do something extraordinary."

"He did?"

"He did. I thought he meant the war, but it turns out, he meant something different..."

"But I did not win. Tygren still lives-"

"And he is in good hands, now. You have allies, Ingressus; you always have, and they will help you just as we tried to."

"..."

"Ingressus, there is something that I have wanted to tell you...for a long time..."

"..."

"I wanted to tell you..."

"..."

"That I was wrong..."

"...and...?"

"That you were right..."

"...and...?"

"That everything that has led to this... It- it was all my fault... and that..."

"...yes?"

"...and that I am sorry, Ingressus. For everything."

"...me too, Achillean... Me too..."

Battling a war that they weren't expecting so soon was only half a job for the Knights of Ardonia. The Deathsinger had done well to keep his presence a secret from the other clans, and, on one hand, that made their job easier not having to explain how the battle, and all its details, came to be; but on the other, it meant that explaining the dead Ardoni – bearing the same markings as Ingressus Voltaris – that they wished to give a proper send-off, was difficult. It couldn't be the same as when they had buried Achillean because there was no Voltaris Master to aid them, and it was highly unlikely that the other clans would be of service, even if they told them everything that had happened - even if the truth were to be believed. The Deathsinger's reputation had preceded him solid in stone. There was no hope of changing their minds. Not in the current era.