Chapter 24: But in Distrust, We Wonder

With the Knights' plan now in action, one team assembles at Fort Zuka to meet with Kiyoshi. Unfortunately, they had not forewarned the Felina Captain of the one particular Ardoni that they were bringing along with them and tensions only rise on their arrival.That is, until Kiyoshi makes a move to return a long lost item...

Author's note: for some reason, people be wanting an interaction between Ingressus and some cats in this fic and since we had planned to take him to Felden anyway, we figured we might as well. that has since gained some ground and now there are cats dotted at various points in the fic from here on out XD

chapter art is drawn by Cloudless_Sky (aka ArtimisWarrior) because she is still better at this than I ever will be and her cat drawings are to die for!

last note: enjoy this chapter while it lasts because this is the last one before everything all goes mad. everything gonna be coming at you fast after this chapter

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED XD

****************

The gates to Fort Zuka opened as expected when the Knights approached the entrance – they had sent word only days before detailing their desires to protect the Supporium Prime Song alongside the Felden Army. Masani and Alec had been incredibly helpful in securing their position within the Fort, giving them full access to their armoury and assets in preparation for the coming war that Tygren would inevitably bring.

The Felden team consisted of Hubris, Onyx and Masani, while Ria, Senn, Grek and Grim travelled to Gale Point in Northwind to speak with the Glacians out there. Ingressus also joined the Knights in Felden, but they were yet to reveal that minor detail to the rest of the Army for they were unsure of their initial reactions.

They were right to be cautious at first.

Ingressus tailed the Knights as they entered the Fort, well disguised among the forestry around them, only little beams of sunlight slipped through the canopy of the leaves overhead and illuminated the ground on which they walked. It reminded him of his walks into the woods back in Nestoria – the dirt paths, the rustling of the flora around him and the brisk breeze that brushed across his hair. It was peaceful. He was like an innocent child exploring the world for the first time on his own.

And this time, he really felt like he was on his own.

Achillean's burial had brought him closure. He was allowed to shed the guilt he harboured for the suffering that he had caused, knowing that Achillean wasn't feeling it anymore – that there was peace in his mind at long last, but it also brought home how alone he felt. The only person left alive who knew everything about him and yet still cared, was gone and Ingressus felt that there was no-one he could turn to anymore – especially in his understanding that Tygren had rallied the Voltaris clan to conspire against him.

He scoffed to himself.

'Imagine that,' he thought. 'Your greatest enemy was your only ally while your allies remain your greatest enemies. Fitting.'

Ingressus was not disguised as they traversed the Fort, but most of the soldiers were otherwise busy training and were not paying attention to the Knights as they made their way towards the Captain's quarters. Alec had forewarned Kiyoshi of the coming attack and he was preparing for the Knights' arrival with diligence to ensure that they were on the same page as one another – no secrets among allies. Of course, that was Kiyoshi's policy. If the Knights had told him beforehand that they were bringing along Ardonia's once greatest threat, long believed to be dead, they ran the risk of losing their alliance with the Felden Army – a consequence they simply couldn't afford this close to a clash with the Voltaris. They lied for the good of Ardonia. It was just a question as to whether Kiyoshi saw it that way.