16- lightshow

Yaku's POV:

The flamboyant colours of autumn brought along promises of the most beautiful rain, the golds and reds of ripening berries, and a gentle breeze that smelled rich with the aroma of the earth. The leaves that fluttered around us felt like a cozy quilt, bringing along a sense of comfort and seemingly everlasting peace.

"Yeah..." Lev answered.

A silence followed after that, the both of us quietly basking in the serenity of the moment and the comfort in each other's presence while waiting for the show to start.

I smiled.

Maybe the most genuine, happiest smile I've ever worn on my face until now.

It feels like a door has opened— like an invitation for me.

For the first time, it feels like someone really wants to get to know and understand me.

And it's the first time I've felt this kind of connection with someone.

"You know," I said. "You're special to me too."

Simple words that held a whole story behind them.
My mind replayed the memories I shared with this boy, the days I worked hard to train him and then saw that intense determination that was so strikingly contrast against his usual childish demeanour, and that same day when I embraced him— everything has been a confusing spiral of emotions since then.

And that day where he was concerned about me after school and wouldn't let me go off without telling me a million comforting words, reminders even, that he's here for me.

And...I feel happy

With him, and right now.

It started off with a silent spark that shot in a straight path up.

Ah, the light show...has begun now.

It's body- a streak of white that kissed the clear blue sky, exploding in thousands, no, millions of tiny particles of light that dared to blind and corrupt the midday sky with its extraordinary beauty.

The next few seconds were followed by the striking colours of rainbow sparks that fell as quickly as they rose up. While spinning up in the sky, each spark held the limelight and the audience's baited breath, before raining down in that same beauty and grace.

The noise, it was deafening.

The sound of the crackle and explosion of the fireworks filled the air and left behind a little smoke that managed to travel up to the crowd that was seated on the benches.

All this beauty of the light show in front, and yet I couldn't tear my eyes away from the boy right beside me.

It felt as if all my senses were enhanced.
I could hear the steady rhythm of his heartbeat, feel the softness and texture of his skin, and breathe in all of the comforting scent of the softener on his kimono.

While the fireworks were ongoing, I subtly shifted closer to Lev, who was now a few inches apart from me.

My gaze plummeted into the bright lights and sparkles that swirled in his eyes.

Time felt like a straight line, seconds dragged by longer than usual, everything was going in slow-motion except for my steady thoughts that pieced itself together like a puzzle in my mind.