18 - my home for all seasons

A/N: Please play the song linked above for a better reading experience! The song helps set the mood for the beginning of the next few parts in this book :) thank you!

— In the following week —

As Autumn gave way to Winter, she swept in with an audience of snowflakes raining around her as she made her entrance into the year. Today marked the 6th day of Winter, the first snowfall of the year.

Yaku's POV:

"Lev when you said you wanted to hang out soon, you should have given me further notice— you can't just show up at my doorstep in the morning all of a sudden!"

It was just an hour after I woke up. My body, still heavy with sleepiness, opened the door irritably to find out that the person spamming my doorbell was no other than the boy I have come to like, Lev.

"But, Yaku-san, I wanted to surprise you! And you also said you'd try to come out!" Lev whined as he tugged on my shirt, looking at me with pleading eyes as he pointed excitedly at the now frozen lake outside my house.

I let out a long sigh, feeling a little guilty for having second thoughts right now. But he just had to pick the day it was coldest!

"Yaku-san, it will be fun and safe- I promise!" Lev pouted, holding onto my shoulders. "Please, let me have the pleasure of enjoying this fine winter day with my favourite person on this Earth!" he continued, looking at me excitedly.

"Just for a while...? Trust me." He added softly.

"Just for a while" I murmured. I did make a promise to him that we'd spend as much time as we could in Winter though..

And well, this is the start of that promise.
Anyway, we have more days ahead of us to spend longer hours together.

"Let me go change first though." I said, turning around and rushing to my room to get my winter coat. When I came back, Lev was still outside my door, humming a song while waiting for me.

Lev's eyes widened in excitement once he saw me. "Yay now we're all ready! Come on Yaku-san, I'll make this day unforgettable!" Lev winked at me before turning around, his grip stronger on my wrist.

"Hey, hey! Slow down...geez" I struggled to catch up to the taller boy's pace as we stood at the end of the stairs of my porch.

We made our way across the street to the opening to the forest.

The wintry breeze kissed my face as the tall, dark oak trees before us framed the vast frozen lake. Snow piled up near the tree stumps and covered the once dewy grass in its cold embrace. Today's weather was a little colder than usual, but after seeing Lev so happy about spending time with me, the cold didn't irritate me as much anymore.

I guess...this isn't so bad after all.

"Lev...it's beautiful." I murmured. Something about today just seemed so different. Maybe it was because the gentle sun was positioned perfectly in the morning sky, or the way the blanket of snow dipped and curved in the horizon, or perhaps because of the silver-haired boy who stood beside me with his warm hand still on my wrist..

"I told ya, winter shouldn't be spent all cooped up inside the house but also spent enjoying this other side of nature outside." Lev had a wide smile on his face as he glanced at my face.

Lev's cheeks were dusted with a light pink— probably because of the cold— and his deep green eyes glimmered under the gentle rays of the sun.