11- pretty boys

The match concluded with a score of 25-23.

Fukurōdani held the victory in this match.

Lev's POV:

I was exhausted. Worn out. Tired. It seems like no word can describe just how immensely fatigued I am at this point of time. The muscles in my leg was all tense and sore from jumping to block powerful spikes, and my arms and fingers were red from abrasion and the continuous rush of blood flowing beneath my skin.

Nekoma stood still on the court, as still as time.
We watched Fukurōdani cheer, the teammates embracing each other with lots to say.

I bit my lip, feeling a prick of dissatisfaction.
I wasn't doing my best on the court.
I wasn't at my maximum potential.
I could have done so much better if I just spend more hours pr—

"Nekoma! Gather!" Our captain's loud voice distracted me from my self-loathing thoughts.

All of us stood in a circle once more, panting heavily from the adrenaline rush of a match we had. I couldn't help but look down, unable to meet my teammates or Yaku-san's gaze. Did I pull down my team?

I felt a small pat on my arm as I opened my eyes, looking up. No, looking down.

Yaku-san kept his hand on my arm a second longer, before taking his place next to me and looking ahead at our captain.

It was just a small reassuring touch...but it made me feel something so much more.

"We did good today against Fukurōdani." Kuroo began. "Yes, we may not have won. You all may be having a lot of regrets right now. But." His facial expression shifted slightly, to a more intense one.

"We are not going to get any weaker because of this practice match."

"From here, we can only get stronger. Each and every one of us." He held his face up high, almost proudly, and gazed at the team he had built up to this point.

He looked at me. "And we will grow with time to come. We will reach our maximum potential— we will be able to push ourselves until we know what our best is."

"And once we have achieved that, no one will be able to bring down Nekoma. We are strong together. Each and every single one of us contribute a unique aspect to this team, to build us up and earn us the reputation of one of the strongest teams in defence."

"We will keep upholding our pride, our reputation and motto." His voice was steady, firm— encouraging in a way it made you want to fight with every last breath you had.

"I'm proud of all of your performances in the match today."

Kuroo clapped his hands together, exhaling deeply. "Now! I don't want all of you looking so depressed. I'm sure after this match with Fukurōdani, you all are more aware of different strategies and play-styles of teams in volleyball. Remember what they've showed you today, remember what you've showed them today. We will learn from this match and move on stronger."

The two coaches behind Kuroo came in front to stand beside him. Coach Nekomata nodded at Kuroo's words, before saying, "You heard what your captain said. I want all of you to have a good rest today, and learn from this match. We will be having Fukurōdani over for another practice match in the time to come. Till then, I expect continuous improvement from all of you. And after we beat them, we shall continue winning."