Chapter 33

Writers POV

When she opened her eyes, she was greeted by a nearly dark room. She could feel a headache approaching, and nearly every muscle in her body was aching. She found herself on the carpeted floor, next to the windows. She sat up and rested her back against the cold wall. She sighed and lightly massaged her forehead. She attempted to stand, but a sharp pain shot up through her legs and she fell on the carpeted floor. She looked around and stood up again, crawling her way towards the switchboards and switching the lights on, instantly illuminating the room. Her fingers had left a red print on the switch, and she looked down at her hands, perplexed. Her hands were stained bright red with blood, fresh blood. Her eyes widened as she looked down at her blood-red, trembling hands. She dashed into the bathroom and stared at her reflection in the mirror. She was drenched in blood, and her face was barely recognizable. Her body was riddled with sharp, deep, and small cuts and her legs were riddled with claw and bite marks. Her senses were filled with the haunting screams of the wolves and warriors, and she shuddered, barely standing straight on her trembling feet. As the buzzing of screams became louder, she covered her ears with her hands, closing her eyes, she collapsed to the ground. As the memories flooded in, she hugged herself and sat on the corner. The memories of her demon form were always vague, and she could never remember them. But today, the demon made her live through the haunting memories. She had a distant look in her eyes as she stared at the bathroom wall, her mind swirling around the burning wolves' screams, their thrashing around on the forest floors, and how he gawked at her demon. The fire caught his hands, burning him, but he didn't take his gaze away from her kept her mind humming. His gorgeous blue eyes looking right at her dark ones traumatized her. A tear rolled down her cheek as she closed her eyes.
"I hurt him!" she exclaimed to herself.
"I hurt him!" She wailed, and tears streamed down her face. Only a handful of times did she cry before, a handful of times she was scared but nothing was compared to how scared she was of herself.

She was lying on the bathroom floor when she heard the sound of rushing footsteps and the smell of smoke. She got to her feet and turned on the faucet. She sprayed cold water on her face and stared at her reflection in the mirror. She looked down, feeling the demon peering through her eyes.
"Do you feel satisfied now?" she inquired coldly.
"Do you feel satisfied now that you've hurt the only person I've started caring about after all these years?" The bathroom was deafeningly quiet.
"Answer me!" she yelled back at herself in the mirror. She could feel the demon stirring inside her, but she didn't care. Her eyes had darkened and her skin was becoming paler. Her jaw clenched, and she punched the mirror, shattering it to pieces. She threw away her clothes burning them to ashes and jumped into the cold shower.
She scrubbed herself with soap and cleaned herself as thoroughly as she could. Her thoughts kept returning to him, his eyes, and the fire. She slammed her hand against the tiled wall and rested her head against it, in anger and frustration. She felt helpless all over again, disappointed, and most greatly, scared. She was terrified of herself and the demon within her. She had harmed their pack members, and she had harmed her moon-blessing. She harmed those who cared for her. She exhaled deeply and closed her eyes, allowing the cold water to run over her naked body.
She got out of the shower and dressed in a fresh pair of t-shirt and leggings. The red blood-stained white carpet screamed for attention as she got out of the closet. She dragged the loveseat from the corner of the room and placed it over the stained carpet, unable to think of anything else. The loveseat perfectly concealed the stain away from any eyes. She cleaned her wounds and concealed them, leaving only a few on her hands. After dressing the wound on her hand, she dragged herself to the bed and collapsed. She was exhausted both physically and mentally, her eyes closed on their own accord, leaving her vulnerable to the nightmares that awaited her.

The packhouse and infirmary were in complete disarray. The wolves were brought back as soon as backup had arrived. There were nearly fifty casualties, ranging from minor to severe injuries. Five people were killed on the spot, and nearly ten were seriously injured battling death. The wolves of the pack were flustered, hollering, and demanding answers as soon as they had returned. The wolves were being treated in the infirmary, and the doctors were working as hard as they could to avoid losing any of the severely injured. Despite their high healing abilities, the burn injuries were severe in many cases, and it would take them days to recover without medical assistance.
He could hear the wailing of the families who had lost a loved one, as well as those who were waiting outside in the infirmary corridors for word on their loved one's condition. When the doctor applied undue pressure to the burn injury on his left hand, he winced. He sat shirtless on the uncomfortable hospital bed while the doctor treated his wounds. The fire had only burned his hand, but he had lost five of his warriors, and many more of other warriors who were lying on the hospital bed waiting to die. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath through his nose and exhaled through his mouth. The doctor dressed the wound and took a step back.
"All done, Your Highness," he bowed, leaving Aiden alone in the room, who was deep in thought.
He's not sure why, but he couldn't get the demon's dark eyes out of his head. Or the way those eyes flitted around when they landed on him. She felt both familiar, mysterious, and dark. She was immensely powerful he had no doubt in that. When they went looking for the demon after the fire had died down, all they found was burned earth. Everything else in the fire zone was burnt to the ground. A knock on the door brought him back from his ruminations.
"Come in," he said, slipping his arms through the sleeves of his shirt. Beta Nicholas walked in, peering through the slightly open door. He bowed his head and moved closer to his Alpha.
"How are you feeling, Aiden?" Nick inquired, and Aiden gave him a brief look before averting his gaze.
"How are the wolves?" He inquired while buttoning his shirt.
"The majority of them are doing well. Two of the pack warriors are still unconscious, and the healer believes they have a slim chance of surviving the night." Beta Nick briefed him, and Aiden stared at him with vacant eyes.
He rolled up his sleeves and climbed down from the bed.
"Let's go," he said as he began walking out of the infirmary room with Nicholas on his toes.