⤖ chapter twenty-four

His lips curved into an uncertain smile

The restaurant already had few people in it, but as the clock ticked 9, it lessened even more. One leg bounced nervously, head turning to the door every now and then in hopes to see Minkyong's figure entering.

But she did not.

Kyungsoo bit his lower lip, starting to get concerned and he reached for his phone in his pocket, head lowering as he texted from under the table.

Minkyong

Is everything ok?

He waited and waited until the restaurant had told him that they have to close already, still not receiving any reply from Minkyong. Shoulders slumped, he typed another text, contemplating if he should instead call her.

Kyungsoo resulted to the latter as he walked out of the restaurant and stood by the light post, it being one of the many that lights the darkness in the skies dimming deeper.

It rang four times.

Kyungsoo's round doe eyes wandered his surrounding as he pursed his lips together, patiently waiting for the call to be answered. Finally, the ringing stopped, replaced by busy background noise from the other line.

"Minkyong," he spoke, waiting for her to speak and explain why she wasn't able to come. Parting his lips to say another word, a sharp inhale resounded from the other end of the line.

"Are you okay?" he worriedly asked, brows knitting as he pressed the phone tighter.

"I don't know..." she cried, alarming the lad at how different her voice sounded—broken and perplexed.

"What happened? Where are you?"

"I'm in the hospital. Minyoung Unnie just—"

"Which hospital?"

"At Seoul National University Ca—""

"I know where that it is, I'm coming."

"No!" she exclaimed. "I'm fine, you don't have to go. Someone might see you," she disagreed, her sister's reminder crossing her mind.

Her reply made the boy momentarily stop, resisting to accept that what she said was right. They were lucky no one paid attention to them when they had gone to Han River last time, however, it doesn't guarantee that this time the people will turn a blind eye to them once he enters that hospital Minkyong's in.

"I'm sorry I couldn't come. I'll make it up to you,  I promise." Minkyong said before Kyungsoo could even retort how he doesn't give a damn if someone sees them together. She needs someone. Maybe she needed him at that moment of uncertainty of her sister's critical condition.