⤖ chapter thirteen

"Thank you

            "Thank you."

Dejun watched as Mijoo and Junggi stayed beside Minkyong at the far end of the room. A while ago, he went out to look for Minkyong and encountered Kyungsoo with her. He saw how Kyungsoo wrapped his arms around the girl, covering her shaking shoulders due to weeping. And it made Dejun somehow so thankful for Kyungsoo.

He knew Minkyong since college days, been close with her and her sister. All the difficulties, arguments, he shared it with them since college. And he knows how it is hard for Minkyong to open up what she truly feels on the inside.

The assistant director was well-known for having smiley face every time. She was a ray of sunshine, like a happy virus, they say. With one smile, the atmosphere could lighten up.

She had that effect.

And seeing her so different, breaking down into tears and heart tearing apart because of the loss of her grandfather made it so tough for Dejun to see.

Soon after Minkyong had calmed down, Kyungsoo ushered her back inside where they saw Dejun standing just at the entrance of the building. From there, the two males walked her to the room they rented.

"For what?" Kyungsoo asked, removing his bonnet from his head revealing his black locks and placed his bonnet on the table.

"For staying by her side," Dejun replied, wearing a smile on his face then took a cup of wine. Kyungsoo shook his head in refusal.

"I didn't do much. She needed someone to lean on, I only did the least thing I could do," he mumbled, lazily tearing his gaze from Minkyong's figure from the quarters of their grandfather's altar.

A sigh released from the director's lips.

"She's a tough woman," he said. "She's the youngest. A young girl. One would expect her to be the meek, spoiled girl in the family. But after everything she's been through, she wasn't even given the chance to whine over petty things,"

Kyungsoo's brows knit, curious. "Mind if I ask, what did she go through?"

A pause. Dejun licked his lips before sipping wine from his glass again.

"At 15, she lost her parents due to car accident. Her sister, Minyoung, was just 17 that time and all they had were their grandparents. A few years later, their grandmother went next. Heart attack."

Kyungsoo felt a tug on his insides at Dejun's words. He couldn't believe how someone could still pull an infectious bright smile yet still carry a broken heart along. His gaze drifted to Minkyong again. Her eyes were dull, in a daze. Mijoo left her with Junggi who silently sat beside her.

Minyoung, her sister, was still staying in the same spot. The picture frame still in her arms.

This was such a huge blow to the sisters.