⤖ chapter twelve

Two weeks before

Two weeks before

            Everything was set. Everyone close to their grandfather was there. All who wanted to say their condolences to their family was part of the circle that surrounded Minkyong's grandfather, respectfully wearing a black shade clothing with their heads bowed down as the pastor say his remarks.

"We are here to commemorate the life of our dear Bae Seungwon."

Minyoung could barely make herself sit up straight. She felt so weak and helpless. It was so sudden, she was not prepared. She was so engrossed and occupied with her sickness and worries that she didn't realize that her grandfather was suffering just as much. She hated every passing minute, thoughts wandering off in regret of how she didn't do her best to treat her dear grandfather the best way she can.

She should have gone home sooner. She should have stayed by his side while she still could.

But that's what she did not do. That's what she refused to do.

Leave everything and start a journey. That's what all she thought of when she went to Italy. All that just for nothing.

Hands bawled into a fist, Minkyong's nails dug into her skin as she held on her sister's wheelchair handle with her other hand. She reached her hand out to gently caress Minyoung's shoulder.

But as she did, the more she felt how disheartened she was. It was a lot to take in. Just like her sister, she wasn't able to do anything about it. She couldn't even bring herself to hold the title as Seungwon's granddaughter.

Why did he have to leave at a time like this?

Minkyong needs him.

He's all they got.

He stood as a strong pillar for their three-member family. Maybe it was too much to bear, handling it all alone as his granddaughters went to find their own paths.

How could Minkyong be so selfish and not let him go when he's been through a lot? So much that his body gave up on him. Or maybe he left with no burden in his heart.

As the ceremony went on, Minkyong stayed by her sister's side, as a shoulder to cry on. She couldn't even bring herself to cry. Her sister needed her as a strong pillar. Minkyong's now the pillar that has to stand tall.

Minyoung's too weak, and they can't be both weak. Someone has to be firm.

Someone has to be like their grandfather.

Minkyong's crew was also in the vicinity. They paid respect for the loss of their assistant director. Mijoo and Junggi stood at the back part of room, stealing glances at Minkyong's direction. Minkyong was busy accommodating their relatives and the close friends of her grandfather. Mijoo worried the assistant director might burn herself out even more.