⤖ chapter five

Minkyong was advised by Dejun to take a week break from work since her sister's arrival

Minkyong was advised by Dejun to take a week break from work since her sister's arrival. He know that even if the assistant director goes on duty, she wouldn't be able to focus that long as her sister's still in the hospital. So, she took a week taking care of both her sister and her grandfather.

One time when Minkyong went down to make breakfast, her grandfather was nowhere in sight. She panicked and searched for him everywhere in the house only to be told by her sister that he went out.

"Where is he, Unnie?"

"He's with her."

How can she not remember?

Their grandfather always goes to the cemetery to visit his wife. He must have been so troubled by the news that came with Minyoung upon coming back in Seoul, that he thought of venting it out to their grandmother. Out of the three of them, their grandfather was the most worried one. They can't blame him for that. First, it was the sisters' parents. And now that Minyoung has some threat in her life, he was more certain that there is nothing permanent in this world.

It became an unfortunate tradition to lose someone in unexpected moments in their lives. Every time he loses a loved one, the pain doubles the first time. It was never easy to lose someone of which you love.

Not that he is already foretelling that Minyoung will leave them any time soon, that is what the doctor had already warned them about. Maybe all they need is a miracle to happen. If only...

The following week, Minkyong came back to work. She was extra workaholic and did all her task flawlessly. It's a relief that the assistant director is working hard at the crucial episodes to be released, but Dejun cannot help but be concerned of his close to kin.

In every possible way she can, Minkyong would call back home just to know if anything's wrong or if they needed something when she comes back later.

"Okay, for the next scene..."

She went on announcing their schedule, the call time of the actors, staff and everything related to the shooting for that particular day. For the past few days, she's been beating herself up doing work and rereading scripts to make sure that everything is in accordance with what Dejun had wanted everything to be as the director.

After taking the scene wherein the prince would have to face his foe, Minkyong declared a thirty-minute break. Placing down her walkie talkie, Minkyong sat on the porch of the traditional Korean house whilst the crew went on getting food for their lunch. Dejun walked up to her, taking the empty space beside her as he watches her continuously tap on her phone.

"Who are you texting?" he asked.

"My sister," she replied, without sparing him a glance.

"How is she doing?"

This time, the assistant director looked at her superior. She knows him. It has already been a long time since he had heard of Minyoung, she is sure.

She sighed. "Well... Aside from the cancer spreading out even more, she's pretty much okay."

He fiddled with his fingers, releasing a heavy sigh. By the looks of it, the director is indeed burdened by this.

"Do you wanna see her?"

His head span towards her. "Can I?"

"Of course you can, Oppa. I'm sure she would be thrilled to meet you again. Besides, it's been what? Four years?"

He went back on fiddling his fingers, his ears turning red upon reminiscing the old times. "Yeah, four years."

"And you still haven't ridden of it?"

He only smiled, that did not reach his eyes and left the young lady with an assumption that he's still in the same road. She then continued leaving a text message to her sister saying that she'd try to bring some favorite dishes home. Until she felt another presence in front of her, handing the assistant director a bottle of iced coffee.

From the traditional royal shoes he was wearing, the young lass could easily tell it was the lead actor. She looked up to meet his comforting gaze before he spoke.

"Hope this would lift your spirits."

She laughed quietly before taking his offering from his hand.

"What makes you think my spirits aren't lifted?"

"You just seem preoccupied,"

She really was preoccupied. Kyungsoo had noticed how Minkyong was very much affected by the incident that happened in the hospital that he brought her to. That must be the reason why Minkyong was so different today. Often times, he would see her chatting with the staff. Or maybe laughing her butt off at something that Mijoo had shared with her. She could be teasing him in terms of compliments. But today, it's just not the same.

"Are you alright, gamdognim?" He can't help but ask.

"Yes, I am perfectly fine, Kyungsoo-ssi." She beamed.

The actor took all his courage to finally ask.

"I don't want to intrude... but may I know what happened in the hospital?"

Silence.

Minkyong drunk the remaining drops of the iced coffee the actor gave, stood on her feet and plastered a formal smile to him.

"Thank you for the iced coffee, Kyungsoo-ssi," she said. "And regarding your question, it was just a minor incident. Nothing to worry about."

He then stood up as well and faced her with a reassuring smile.

"Whatever it is that you're going through... you can surpass them, gamdognim."

The assistant director's walkie-talkie resounded that broke their eye contact as the director called for everyone to be back on set.

However, Kyungsoo's words left a more impactful influence on her. Thanks for the coffee. But his words were the ones that made her spirits lifted.

another short update

how are u guys doing?