14. PETER

I raise my flags, don my clothes
It's a revolution, I suppose
We'll paint it red to fit right in
Whoa

-Radioactive by Imagine Dragons

After breakfast, Sophia and Steve took Peter in the library to have what was going to be a very difficult discussion.  Sophia put her hand into her son's and asked, "Peter, what do you know?"

Peter looked at his adopted mother.  He hadn't loved someone so much as his own mother. He could see that her heart was breaking from having to have this discussion. He looked to his adopted father.  "I know that there was baby.  I don't know why or what happened."

Steve and Sophia exchanged a look.  Sophia nodded to Steve as if she was giving permission.  "Son, on the last trip we took, your mom took an injury to her stomach."

Peter interrupted.  "Guys I'm almost 16, I know that you are Avengers."

Steve sighed.  "Fine, on the last mission, your mother was shot in the abdomen.  Thankfully the bullet didn't hit anything important, but she lost a lot of blood.  Unfortunately, no one knew that she was pregnant.  The blood loss caused her to miscarry."

Peter stared at his mom as a tear slid down her cheek. "Ma, is that true?  Were you trying to have a baby?"

"No, baby, we weren't.  It was a surprise to us both.  We want to have kids, give you a brother or sister, but we didn't know." Sophia said trying to keep her voice steady.  "I'm sorry we kept this from you.  But it was a very hard thing that your Pop and I had to deal with ourselves first."

"I understand Ma.  But I'm here for you too." 

"I know baby.  But sometime there are things we just can't share. I didn't know if this was one of those times."

"Peter, you are an important part of this family," Steve said, "and we never wanted to make you feel left out."

Peter hugged his mom, and his Pop wrapped his arms around both of them.  "I'm sorry for leaving guys."

"Its ok.  We good?"

"Yea, we are good." He smiled up at his Pop.

"Great, now go to your room.  Still grounded."

Peter headed upstairs to his room. He felt so bad upsetting his Ma.  But he could never let her know the real reason he had been out.  He couldn't believe that he made it out and FRIDAY had not seen him.  He pulled the string to the vent above his bed and a bundle of clothes fell down.  He slipped on his costume of blue and red, knowing that if anything, he had to keep his identity a secret.  The spider bite he had gotten a few weeks ago had really changed him. No one noticed as his wore hoodies most of the time.  No one notice that he had filled out and he was stronger than before.  Sophia just assumed it was a growth spurt and Steve thought that the training he was receiving from his aunts and uncles was working.  Peter intended to keep it that way.  But now his focus was on leaving the building again and finding a way back in.  His window in his room opened but no one really opened them when they were so high up.  Peter cracked it so that he had space to open it from the outside later.

Peter climbed up the vents like Uncle Clint had showed him and took the same path to the service elevator that no one used, and Friday didn't seem to control.  He made it faster than the day before and pushed the button to get on. I'm out Peter thought until he found his Uncle Tony standing right in front of him.

"Hey kid.  Whatcha doing?" Tony glanced at his nephew and then did a double take at what he was wearing.  "Yeah, I'm going to need more."

"It's not what it looks like Uncle Tony."