22. UNDERCOVER

Her eyes
She's on the dark side
Neutralize
Every man in sight

-Angel by Massive Attack

The team leaves at dawn for Monaco.  Sophia and Steve share their usual goodbye, him with a kiss, a be safe and a promise to come back to him. Sophia hugs Steve as if she will never see him again, scared to be doing her first mission without him. She walked onto the Quinjet with the rest of the team and they took off.

Sophia kept reviewing the mission file, memorizing her target. Duke Alexander Rinaldi. He is a handsome man, light brown hair, green eyes, strong build, a member of the Royal Family of Monaco. He spoke French, Russian, Italian and English.  Cultured was the first though Sophia had of the man. But would he be intrigued of her?  That is the ultimate goal. She sighed and put the file down.  The only man she knew who was interested in her was Steve.  Asking him would just piss him off more and Sophia was not in the mood.  She leaned back and closed her eyes.

"Hey, Angel are you alright?"

Sophia opened her eyes to see her best friend looking at her, brows furrowed, wondering why she was so stressed. "I'm fine James, just not sure how to play this.  I would ask Steve but..." she trailed off.

"Yeah, I noticed the punk was acting weirder than normal.  I tried talking to him but it's like I'm the problem.  I don't get it.  He wanted me to be a leader."

Sophia tried to maintain her composure. "James, I honestly don't know what is going on with Steve.  He's shut me out too.  He's not the same since we announced the medical leave. I didn't want to but that was the only option.  Now, when I need him, he just yells or walks away.  I don't know what to do."

Bucky put his arm around Sophia.  "Angel, this isn't on you. What happened was an accident and Steve needs to remember that.  Let's worry about this after.  You need to concentrate on the mission."

"That's just it, I can't," she explained.  "I need him to help me plan this.  I don't know how to approach a man, let alone flirt on command.  Steve approached me; I don't know how to do this! Natasha should be doing this, not me."

"Angel, breathe. You know how to charm people.  You do it every day. You smile your angel smile and speak to people as if they are your equal, even when they are not.  You can do this Angel.  I'll be next to you every step of the way."

"Are you sure? I don't want to screw this up James."

Bucky took Sophia's face in his hands.  "Angel, if we didn't think you could do this, we would have never put you here. Steve included."

That was exactly what Sophia needed to hear.  That Steve thought she could do this. "You know James that I never doubted that you could be a leader. Thank you."

Bucky let go of Sophia, not sure why he suddenly had a tightness in his chest.  "It's not a problem Angel.  Till the end of the line, remember?"

"I remember.  And you got my six?"

"As long as you have mine.  Now, let's review."

The team continued on and arrived mid-afternoon in Monaco.  Bucky and Sophia checked into their rooms and waited to get down to the gala.  Natasha came up to Sophia's room to help her get ready.

"So, Natalia, you got something to tell me," Sophia asked while working on her hair.

"I have no idea what you are talking about hon."

"Ok, and the looks with Sam were nothing?  Ok whatever you say.  I'm sure Bucky would like to discuss the nothing we saw at the diner that night."  Sophia moved to the door.