21. WITHOUT HIM

And if you go
I wanna go with you
And if you die
I wanna die with you
Take your hand and walk away

-Lonely Day by System of A Down

The team gathers in the conference room a few hours later.  Sophia sits holding Steve's hand towards the front.  While she is not the leader of the team, she is still technically is second in command after Bucky and Sam.  Her position as Medical Director placed her there against her objections.  So, with Steve she sat, hoping for the best.

"Ok, we have a base in Monaco that we need to go in with deep recon and surveillance.  The target is Duke Alexander Rinaldi." His picture is put up on the screen. "Intel states that he is funding the HYDRA base that is located below the casino there.  The hard part is that the Grand Prix is also happening this weekend." Sam explained.

Steve commented, "this will mean that we will have innocents in play as well as compromised escape routes.  However, it will also give us the element of surprise. Bucky?"

"Yep, so we have to have a couple of teams.  We need to send a someone in as a guest during the gala that can be observant on the floor and hopefully distract the Duke.  We have a second team that can go in and start getting the intel and a third that will be support if everything goes south." Bucky hesitates for his next sentence.  "Angel, sorry, but you will need to go in and be the guest at the gala."

"My face is known, James, how does that make sense?"

"We can use that, Sophia," explained Sam.  "You are currently recruiting money for the foundation.  You can make a direct plea to the players and use that charm you have to get into the inter-circles. Being an heiress and a Stark can grant you access to a lot of places.  The only hiccup is that we now need to down play your relationship to Steve."

"Whoa, when you guys asked me to help plan this op, no one mentioned down playing our relationship," Steve said, his tone dark.

"We need her to be able to get close to the players.  If they think she might be leaving Captain America, they may be more receptive to her being there.  She can play the bored, frustrated fiancé," Sam explained. 

"So not only do I have to be someone I am not, but I am also going in alone?" Sophia asked.

"Well, we are not sure if it would be smart to send in a second operative with you." Sam explained.

"I have a bad feeling about going in alone. I won't be able to use my powers and no back up."

"Doll, what are you thinking?" asked Steve.

"I think it should be a two-man team going in. even if we are not together, I would feel better if I had a partner."

"Well, the outside team is Sam, Clint and Pietro.  The intel team in Wanda, Nat, Scott and Bucky."  Steve said.  "We could move Bucky to be your second if he is willing to cut the hair.  Also, we can hide the arm with a good tux and gloves. He gets cleaned up; I don't think he would be recognized."  Steve sighed.  "It would be the only logical move." Steve grits his teeth as he says, "If he escorts you, it will make the whole, I'm leaving my fiancé thing more believable. Guys, what do you think?"

Sam nods, appreciating the quick thinking of the Captain.  Bucky contemplates having to make the changes necessary. "Yea, punk, I guess I can do that." 

"Ok, we have a solid plan in place.  We leave in 72 hours," said Sam.

Sophia and Steve retreat to their room.  Steve is still fuming at what the plan is forcing Sophia to do.  "Doll, I just don't like it."