Chapter 3 - Endless Train Ride

Start from the beginning

Silence erupted for a moment as no words could change anything. He was right. I had only won my games because I had been lucky. It had been under ideal circumstances. Their chance was low. 

"You are right", I agreed with his words. 

Everyone looked at me, shocked. 

"Your chances to win are slim and most probably you are going to die." 

"(f/n)!", Seeder interrupted me. 

But I shook my head and continued. "It's the cruel truth and they both have to face it. If they aren't willing to use everything they have got and to fight on the prize of their lives, their chances aren't slim, but non-existent. To win the games you have to risk your life and to do that you have to consider dying without accepting it. Only then, you will be able to keep going in a life threatening situation." 

Zet let out a frustrated sound and left. 

Callie had quietly listened to everything I had said. She seemed to be shy. I could see in her eyes that she had not given up yet. "I'm good at creating slings and other traps", Callie stated quietly. "And at hiding", she added. 

I smiled at her. "That's a great starting point." 

I advised her for hours and got to know her better. Actually she was not shy but just needed some time to get to know the other person. As soon as we started she got pretty talkative.

Later on I decided to check on Zet and apologize to him because he had not shown up at dinner. 

"Come in", he replied to my knocking. 

"Zet. I'm sorry if I offended or upset you." 

He shook his head. 

I took a seat next to him on the coach. 

"No. You were only honest. Actually I'm thankful for that. I hate false hopes. But I needed some time to process the situation", he explained. 

"I see. This is my first year as a mentor. It feels like my Games happened just a few days ago and I know exactly how horrible it feels to go into the arena with low chances to win. I was lucky. That's what saved me." 

"I don't know what to concentrate on during my training or which strategy to use." 

"Do you want to ally with Callie or act on your own?" 

"I don't know. In the end we will be opponents anyway. I don't think I could kill someone I really know." 

"Then you should consider talking to Chaff and strategize together with him while I work with Callie. I already started advising her. So ..." 

"No, it's alright. I'm the one who ran away. Now I have to deal with it." 

"Nice attitude", I complimented him with a grin. 

I got up and added: "Don't forget to eat as much as you can. It'll help you in the arena." 

Then I left and joined Seeder. "Where is Chaff?", I wondered. 

Callie had excused herself already to go to bed. I could understand that she wanted to be alone now. She was strong for talking about strategies immediately. 

"Off to bed. You did great today! I don't even know what I'm here for." 

"Oh, thanks. I'm used to advising and teaching my younger siblings and I want to help Callie and Zet as much as possible. Otherwise I would never forgive myself. It already hurts to remind myself that at least one of them is going to die soon."