"So, Ms. Jones. I am assuming that you must be wondering why you're here," he began, intertwining his fingers and leaning his forearms on the large desk. When he saw me nodding, he continued further. "Well, I believe that you were being judged on a completely different spectrum as to what and who you really are. I talked to Ms. Maxwell and she told me about how deserving you are to be a part of this company. How hardworking and determined you are. How you take the challenges head on. And just like any other successful company, this one needs dedicated employees like you too. And I think, a person should be judged on these basis, regardless of who they are and where they come from. Besides, I deeply apologize for being one of them too."

I just sat there with growing veneration for the man sitting in front of me. I couldn't believe that he was saying all of that in front of me, about me. I knew that I should keep a professional front but my admiration for him was just too see-through. "Wow… I mean." I blinked, chuckling and staring at the paper weight on the desk before meeting his gaze. "I am just so… I can't believe I am hearing you say what I've always heard you say in your interviews," I remarked, feeling mortified all of a sudden. So much for a professional front.

He laughed harder this time, his face crinkling everywhere. There was so much uncanny resemblance between the son and father. "I love the passion people like you have. It helps the prosperity of our country. Forgive me, sometimes I get too patriotic and political."

I shook my head, getting more and more comfortable with him as the seconds ticked by. "Don't worry about it because I've seen it all. Trust me when I say this that my dad can actually write an entire memoir on political stuff." I snorted.

Mr. Williams' eyes widened with interest. "Really? Because I'd love to have a political acquaintance other than my business and golf buddies."

"Well, he would love to make your acquaintance too. Any chance to show off his knowledge," I stated, grinning.

He leaned back on his swivel chair with a challenging look after what I said about my dad. "Let's see," he said, feigning smugness. I could tell that he was trying to make me feel comfortable and it was working. "Okay, then," he uttered after a few seconds' pause and was back to being all serious again. "I'll let you know the reason I've called you here."

As soon as he said that, I sat up straighter and put my hands in my trouser pockets to stop the sudden shakiness.

"Okay, so after going through your CV and hearing all good things about you from Ms. Maxwell, I've made a thorough decision. I've concluded that I would like to have you back at our company, that is if you wish to," he laid out the words in front of me with such calmness that it was as if he didn't know the impact they could have on me.

My back stiffened immediately after hearing that and I was completely stupefied, to put it simply. If I could, I could list all the happy emotions surging through my veins and I was unable to say even a simple "okay, sure!".

"It's okay, you don't have to answer me right now. You can take your tim-"

I accidentally cut him off and on top of that, I literally screamed out my answer like we were two old friends. "No!" I paused instantly before inhaling sheepishly. "I mean no. And I am ready to be back to work." I beamed and wanted to look all normal but it wasn't happening anytime soon.

"Well, I am happy to hear that another one of my wrongly fired employees is back," he said, rolling his eyes jokingly.

That sentence alone though, made my head pop up with two questions. Furrowing my brows, I jutted out my lower lip.

Mr. Williams must have noticed my puzzled face because he chuckled softly. "Go ahead. Ask away."

"Um… is Ms. Maxwell by any chance back again?" I asked expectantly.