~Chapter 24~

As I stood in front of my mirror, I couldn't stop staring at my astoundingly beautiful reflection. No, I wasn't being conceited or anything but my reflection wasn't looking like me either.

I might be going on a mission to catch the mastermind behind our - Skye's and mine - case but it didn't restrain me from dressing up like a queen.

The exquisite dress was gifted to me by my dad on my 21st birthday and surprisingly, it still fit. I could tell that it's expensive but I never tried to know its actual price because it never mattered to me anyway. I remember falling in love with it instantly and couldn't stop myself from wearing it that day. However it was sad how I never got the occasion to wear it again until now.

I would love to give all the credits to Chelsea and Emika because they helped me a lot with my makeover.

I'd called them both earlier about helping me up with the dress up and they were eager but - yup, there's a catch line - but only if I told them how I got the invite. They were beyond persistent and I had to tell them everything. Even the part wherein I'd be Syke's date tonight. Let's just say, my house literally shook with Chelsea's squeals and I was certain this news would reach the guys' ears as well.

We went full out to not look like me but someone else to conceal myself from the media. If they'd get the whiff of me going out with Skye, it would spark another set of those measly rumors. Besides, it was a masquerade party, after all.

No one can tell who I am. I smirked internally.

"I hope you do know that you've been staring at yourself for the past whatever minutes. But I can tell that it's been too long," Chelsea said in a half teasing and half chastising tone. I looked at her through the mirror to see her clicking some close up pictures of my dress but I didn't question her about it.

I laughed at her expression. "It's not everyday that I get to dress up like this." I gesticulated with my hands from top to bottom.

I was wearing a navy blue, sparkly ball gown. The strapless, sweetheart neckline somehow gave me the much needed confidence and I loved it. It flared from the waist down, hiding even my silver, six inches heels.

My makeup was dark and my lips were coated in red lipstick. Emika worked a lot on my eye makeup, giving it a smokey edge while Chelsea did my hair. She made them go from curls to beach waves and tied it up in a simple chignon with a few loose tendrils framing my face.

"One look and I can bet my whole life that Syke's gonna swoon like a melted better," she remarked, winking.

I glared at her but deep down I knew that I couldn't wait to see him. I wondered what he would look like in a tuxedo. Then another thought struck me that he didn't even know the color of my dress. I wanted to panic but I was slightly enjoying it. It was as if this dress and makeover gave me a whole new personality.

Emika signed 'nice' with the way her index finger and thumb touched and her three fingers pointed upwards. She was grinning from ear to ear.

"Thank you, guys," I murmured honestly with a shy smile. I walked toward them and pulled them both in a tight embrace.

Patting my back, we broke the hug. "Give us all the deets, got it?" Chelsea told me sternly and I nodded my head. "Good. We'll leave you to it then. I hope you have a great night." She giggled.

I had to resist the urge to roll my eyes at her. After exchanging a few casual words and laughs, they both left me in my apartment, alone with my giddy thoughts.

As I was about to go sit down on my bed to gather my thoughts, my doorbell rang, making me all jumpy. I was glad that I didn't have to walk down the stairs as it was a one floor apartment.