~Chapter 35~

Unlike at Skye's place, the paparazzi outside my house went from a hefty crowd to nil in just about a week or two. And let's just say that the residents of my building weren't happy with the commotion. It was a blessing that I wasn't asked to leave. Fortunately after Skye had threatened Rick, he also left my case alone. Due to this reason, we chose my place as the spot to leave together.

Before Skye had arrived at my place, I was bouncing with jitters. However, my nervousness was completely vanquished as soon as we were both inside his car and on our way to some place I had no idea about. He had insisted on picking me up and I was okay with it because my eyes still felt slightly droopy. It was quite early in the morning, around 6 o'clock and it had stumped me when he had messaged me last night to be ready before that. 

Where is he even taking me?

The reason I felt better right now was because Skye didn't even give me the moment to feel self conscious and soon, we dove into an easygoing conversation. That combined with Skye's familiar scent in his car eased my bunched up muscles.

"So what type of date is this? Like wearing old clothes and stuff." I gestured toward our outfits.

Skye was wearing an old cashmere sweater with some of its threads coming loose beneath a thick jacket and worn out jeans. I, on the other hand, wore my college days' long sleeved t-shirt and some regular jeans. I was surprised though that they still fit and even more so when I had found them playing hide-and-seek inside my wardrobe.

"Like I swear, it was so hard to find something old to wear. All I have is formals, pajamas and a few casual outfits. At one point, I even opted out for the pajamas," I told him dramatically.

That brought a laugh out of him and for some reason, it played a serene chord in my heart. It still never felt old to see his smiles and hear his laughs. "Don't tell me you don't have old clothes," he said with a hint of incredulity in his tone.

"Well, not really. I mean I donate them most of the time plus I don't actually have an enormous, princess walk-in closet to stock everything," I replied with an eye roll. "I was pretty glad to find this pair." I pointed to my clothes.

He nodded his head in understanding and looked ahead at the road. "I don't have much old clothes either but I do keep them since I like to work on my tree house and while carving as well. It gets all dusty and so I don't have the heart to dirty my new ones." He shrugged.

"Whoa, good that you explained because I was actually wondering if you'd bought these clothes or something," I told him with a soft chuckle and he did the same. "So where exactly are we going?" I tried to ask him sneakily.

"Nice try but I'll just answer you with the janitor's closet again." Skye smirked, not even looking at me.

I pursed my lips at his response with an intentionally loud huff and looked outside the window. Everything about this early morning was so beautiful. It was blanketed into soft, peaceful hues of orange and yellow. There was a rhythm in the swishing of the trees.

My favorite part while watching everything passing by is the speed of what was left behind and what was yet to come. Every time I'd look back, everything would be blurred but when the next instant I'd look forward, things were clear. It was as if a metaphor of life was screaming itself on my face.

I was brought out of my enchanting poetess moment when I felt Skye's big warm hand wrap around my own. Looking over at him, I saw him giving me an assuring smile.

"Don't worry, Val," he said and I was about to ask him 'why', when he continued. "We're not going to a janitor's closet."

"God." I groaned and his suppressed laugh sputtered out but I was glad that his attention was still on the road. This man beside me would be the death of me one day.