Chapter 35

Stefan Salvatore

Caroline stared at the name with a slight smile. "Hey Stefan. I know I haven't been here in a few years... Honestly, coming here makes me feel like the neurotic, crazy, teenage girl I used to be when we met. For some reason those memories flood my mind instead of all the sweet ones we had together." She placed her hand on his name. " I need to tell you some things. Some are really great and some might be kind of awful..."

"I don't know if Klaus is awful per se, but I could think of better people to spend your time with." A familiar voice said behind her.

Caroline turned around to see Stefan standing there with a goofy grin and his hands in the front pockets of his jeans. "How is this possible?" She said with tears streaming down her face.

"I'm in your neurotic, crazy, teenage girl head."

"Can I touch you?" She asked as she reached her hand out to him but only felt cold air.

"I wish." He frowned. "I haven't seen you in a while. I missed you." He sat down on the stone bench in the crypt.

Caroline took a seat next to him. "I've been looking for some answers for my girls regarding the Gemini curse. I think I've got it figured out."

"Of course you do, Care. You're an amazing mom."

"Thank you." She smiled at him.

"I saw Ric." Stefan said hesitantly.

"What do you mean you saw him?" She asked with her brows furrowed.

"He told me to tell you that he loves you and the girls, he trusts you with everything he's left behind, and to tell you that though he'll miss you and the twins, he's happy."

"Is he with Jo?"

Stefan nodded. "You know the weirdest thing happened the other day. Valerie was at my grave. Care to share what the hell is going on there?"

"Yeah... Uh we fell in love after you left me. We just redirected the love we both felt for you to each other."

"Ha ha, very funny." Stefan rolled his eyes with a smile.

"No, she got into town a few days ago to come visit. I had to break the news to her about you and then your very obnoxious brother decided to tell her that I haven't been here in a while so she was upset with me."

"Oh. Why would that bother her?"

"Klaus."

"Ahhh... you finally gave into him did you?"

"Stefan I-"

"Don't apologize Care. I guess I'm a little jealous, but it was bound to happen eventually. I know everyone has one true love in their lifetime but as a vampire you get several lifetimes. I don't want you to be lonely and miserable. I love you, I know you love me, and I also know you love him. I want you to do what makes you truly happy. Also, I heard a nasty little rumor where you're the key to changing Klaus Mikaelson... the monster."

"He's been different since he came back. He's less angry, more caring, less impulsive, but not necessarily more patient." She chuckled. "It's like he's the same Klaus I remember but not."

"Well he always had a soft spot for you, so maybe it's the Klaus you're used to being around, but it's weird seeing him act that way around everyone else."

"I think seeing him as a dad is weird. Him and Josie had this moment earlier, and I realized he's actually good. I mean I always knew he had it in him, and I tried to show him he could be good back when we first met."