Chapter 13

"Well, I am going to call Josie. She will want to hear all about my day," Hope quickly left.

Klaus stood there quietly with a soft smile as he watched Hope go upstairs. He was alone now. He had time to contemplate everything that had happened today. He slowly walked to his room and closed his bedroom door behind him. He stared at his room and looked around at everything he owned. He began to feel stuck. He walked over to the patio doors and opened them letting in the slight breeze and noise from the busy city below him. He sat in a chair that was facing the open doors. He silently looked out the open doors and pondered over everything that was running through his loud mind.

He began thinking about everything that was preached to him. "Take care of Hope", "Caroline", "Be a better person", "Caroline", "Don't screw up your redemption", "Caroline". Why was everyone pushing them together? He thought about that for a while.

Without thinking Klaus reached into his pocket and pulled out his cell phone. He stared at the black screen for a while and then mindlessly went to his contacts. He clicked on Caroline's number and studied her contact on his phone. As the screen went dim he hit the screen to light it back up. When he touched the screen he hit the call button. He smiled realizing that might have been fate and held the phone up to his ear.

*ring... ring...*

"You are lucky school isn't in session otherwise I wouldn't be able to answer your random mid-day phone calls."

"Hello Love."

"How was today? How is Hope? Are you emotionally drained or what?"

Klaus smiled and let out a small laugh. Of course she would be more concerned with his and Hope's well-being than anything else.

"We visited all the graves today. Camille, Elijah, and Hayley. I am a little beat, and Hope is fine. She is actually off having this same conversation with your daughter."

"Well, I am glad she has someone to talk to. Even if it is one of my little heathens." Caroline laughed.

"I think your daughters are amazing, Caroline. They are the best parts of you and Alaric. You are truly magnificent with them. I always knew you'd be a phenomenal mother."

Caroline softly laughed. "That was one of those heart fluttering moments you see in the movies." She began blushing as she realized she said that out loud. She had after all been out of practice when it came to men.

"Are there any other of those moments that involve me?" he asked quickly before she could take any of it back.

"Yes. I'll even tell you about them, but under one condition." she flirted.

"And what is that?"

"For each one I tell you, you have to share one with me. I'm not going to be the only one putting myself out there."

"What makes you think I have any?" He regretted it as soon as he said it.

"Because we're us. Duh."

"Alright, Fine. I'll start because you technically already shared one. Uh... the night of the ball my family hosted. When I first saw you walk in wearing the dress I gave you and you looked as beautiful as you did, I felt like I couldn't breath. You were so stunning and you had no idea the hold you had over me. Even then."

"I remember that. The look you were giving me was so intense. I thought you were judging me. Speaking of that night, I had a butterfly moment when we were talking next to the horse. Something about you telling me you fancy me, and you telling me all the things you like about me and the vulnerable stories. It's something I think about often."

"Me too. The night I was trapped in the Gilbert living room and I bit you, sorry about that again love. When you told me I was capable of being saved, I felt like I could do anything. No one had ever said anything like that to me before."

"I don't remember much from that night. Probably because I was just moments away from dying, but it's fine. We've gotten past it. Anyways! On a brighter note, my graduation night. You telling me you intend to be my last love was probably the most romantic thing anyone has ever said to me. It was heart flutter worthy."

"Well, here's hoping. Okay, one more because even though this is fun, I do actually have a reason I called. Our time in the forest. When I finally heard how you felt about me I was relieved. Then the fact that you still kissed me after everything that happened. You're a big reason I tried to be better. The lightest person I knew still believed in me. Still felt something for me. All the awful things and doubts everyone had about me, and all I needed was to know you believed. You saved me, Caroline. I wanted to be better for you."

Caroline went silent. She thought that time in the forest was just sex to him. He had been pining after her for so long. She felt like when they finally sealed the deal he wouldn't care about her anymore. After all, he got what he wanted. As she felt a tear starting to fall down her cheek she cleared her throat.

"Uh, so you said you had a reason you called me?"

"Yes. I need to talk to you. I had this thing today where I imagined the person of the grave I was visiting. When I saw Elijah and Hayley they both told me something that was a little strange."

"Okay, what was it?" Caroline asked hesitantly.

"They said that they saw the good me and you would do together. Before you say anything, I wasn't going to tell you. I thought it was just my subconscious trying to tell me what I wanted to hear, but they mentioned a witch I'm not particularly fond of and I don't think that is what I would want to hear. I'm not sure if you're aware or not, but I don't like being told what to do. I would have preferred them to give me the advice and then tell me to do whatever I want because I was going to anyway. That is why I am confused, and that is why I needed to talk to you about it. You said you would be here for me. Here I am, needing your help."

"Well, did they give you any more insight? I'm assuming you asked why they kept saying that? What was the answer?"

"I did ask Hayley. She just said the witch showed her and Elijah the good we will do and then the bad that will happen if we aren't together. I just don't know what to do with this information."

"Listen, we both know that neither of us will let our feelings be forced by a dead witch. If we decided to ever be together, it's because we want to. Your redemption isn't based on me, Klaus. It's based on you. How much do you want this?"

"Thanks love. I needed that little talk. Are things better at work today?"

"Yeah actually. I took Ric out to breakfast this morning and we talked about everything."

"A breakfast date with the father of your children? Should I be jealous?"

"That depends. Should I be jealous you went and saw the ex love of your life, and imagined you had a conversation with her?"

"Oh of course you should."

Caroline let out a big laugh. "Shut up!"

"Make me."

Suddenly it was quiet and Klaus could hear Caroline's breath hitch.

"I've got work to do. Call me later and we can finish this conversation."

"I like the sound of that. Talk to you later, love."

"Bye Klaus."

What Now?जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें