Chapter 40 - The Final Chapter

Klaus and Caroline walked into the empty house that Caroline grew up in holding hands. The outside of the house looked exactly the same, but the inside of it was more modern as the construction crew had been working hard to get it back up to code. The floors were lighter, the walls were white, and the light fixtures were new.

"Oh, this is..." Caroline said as she let go of Klaus' hand and did a circle looking at the ceiling in the living room.

"Beautiful," Klaus said while keeping his eyes solely focused on Caroline who was still wearing her robe and slippers.

"Yeah," she said with a smile and let her eyes slowly move back to Klaus who she saw was staring at her intensely. "What?"

"I didn't say anything." He said in a deep voice.

"Your look. It's intense."

"I just... I love you. Today you were-"

"Mean? Cruel? Violent? Not the sa-" Caroline was cut off by his lips colliding with hers. She let herself quickly melt into Klaus and nearly let out a whimper when he pulled back.

"Beautiful. Strong. Brave. You saved your family. That is honorable." His intense stare remained fixed on her.

"I saved our family, actually. I'd do it again in a heartbeat, but I know your allure to me is that I'm this bright beacon to light up the darkness of your life but the truth is when it comes to our girls, and the school, and my friends and... well you. I don't know who I am." Caroline's ears picked up footsteps coming down the stairs and a very familiar presence.

Lizzie made herself visible, "Well mom, for one you're the best mom ever. You helped me get through and cope with my mental stability or lack thereof. You showed me it's not weak to let people in and to love them. Even if it was someone I despised as much as Hope Mikaelson, because without you she wouldn't be my best friend. You helped me be a good vampire and not kill or feed on people. I think you deserve more credit than you give yourself." Lizzie smiled and looked up the stairs as Josie made herself visible.

Caroline had tears in her eyes as she glanced back at Klaus to see him smirking back at her and they both turned their attention back to Josie who made her way to the bottom of the stairs and stood next to Lizzie.

"We love you, Mom. You taught us to be kind in a way that most kids never get taught. You are the reason we see the good in people and are unable to just turn our backs on our friends and the ones we care about... even if sometimes they deserve it. The love you and Klaus have for each other has taught me that good things take time."

Caroline was full-on crying now, and Klaus was beside her with her hand in his. Hope came down the stairs with a soft smile on her face and stood between Lizzie and Josie, "You have made me feel so included in your family, and yes I know I already have a family but this is what I've always wanted." Hope smiled at both Josie and Lizzie and held their hands. "You made that big empty mansion feel like a home just with your presence. I lost my mom, and you have been there every step of the way to remind me that she's always with me in my heart. I guess Josie was right when she said that good things take time. However long it takes, right dad?"

Caroline turned to see Klaus knelt down with a black box in his hand. And her hands immediately flew to cover her mouth letting out an inaudible sigh. The ring was beautiful. Rose gold band, with one very large round diamond and tiny diamonds surrounding it with slightly larger diamonds lining the band.

"Caroline, from the moment I saw you in that science lab fighting for your friends I was instantly intoxicated by you. The need to be around you was insufferable. Sitting beside you on the bed in that room just down the hall talking to you and sharing information I'd never shared with anyone before, I knew you were destined for greatness. Looks like I was right. The family you've chosen and made is truly perfect. I hope that you will let me be part of it. Seeing you with our children has been the last nudge I needed to know that I want to spend the rest of what I hope is a very long life with you. To join not only our children together, but also the rest of our family. I love you more than I thought I could love someone in this way. Will you marry me?"

With tears streaming down her face Caroline managed to get out, "Yes. A million times yes."

Klaus slid the ring on her finger and quickly stood to wrap her in a hug and give her the most gentle yet feverish kiss ever.

When they pulled away they both looked over at Lizzie, Josie and Hope who each had the biggest brightest smiles they'd ever seen them have. Caroline lifted an arm towards them as if she was inviting them to join their hug and Lizzie vamped over to them so hard that she almost knocked the couple over. Josie and Hope let out a small laugh and then ran to join the hug.

They all stood together huddled in this family group hug for what felt like forever and somehow was not long enough.

Caroline pulled back and her face changed just the slightest. Klaus gave her a small smile, "We can worry about everything else tomorrow."

She smiled back at him, baffled by the fact that he knew she was already stressing about everything that needed to be done and that she was already making mental lists. "So, what now?"

Well that's a story for another time.

THE END!

A/N: I just want to thank everyone that has read, voted and left comments on this book. It's still crazy to me that this book blew up like it did, but I'm so glad I had people to obsess over my favorite ship with. I am thinking about making another book as a sequel to this, but right now I'm going to just enjoy this one being finished. Thanks for listening and reading the story in my heart. Until next time, bye!❤️