~One~

Author's Note: Okay, so kind of short, kind of boring, but it should give you an idea of who (for the most part) Colton is, as well as the personalities of some of his family members. Next chapter you'll see them developed more and new characters introduced. Please comment, vote, and follow me!

**Disclaimer: I own no photos I use. The rights and credit go to their rightful owners. I'm simply using them as a creative tool to illustrate my writing.**

Next update: Friday (3/13/15)

Pic: how I picture Colton [age 11]

~Kate~
-Unedited-

~Age: Seven~

"Colton Quincy Sanders!"

My ears laid themselves against my head as Thomas, my eldest brother, let out a bark of a laugh, darting further into the woods. I spun around, tiny tail thumping the forest floor as the large gray and black wolf came bounding toward me. Dark brown eyes narrowed in anger. I hunched closer to the floor as my father lifted me up by my scruff being careful avoid hurting me with his big teeth. He looked around a moment, trying to locate Thomas and Jeffery, both of whom were free to roam wherever they wanted. I swung around a bit in a nauseating way as he turned his head this way and that, trying to catch sight or to hear them rustling around in the shrubbery. Crying softly in opposition, I batted at his big wet nose, trying to let him know I didn't like swinging around like that. Daddy let out a growl that shook me in reply. I quickly went limp in exasperation.

I'd been caught.

Daddy marched me out of the woods into the clearing we lived in. Seven houses formed a half circle, backed by the forest on all sides. He let me down on the threshold to the cabin, Momma appearing behind him, arms crossed over her chest, mouth in a tight line. Embarrassed and guilty I kept my ears against my head and my belly on the ground. "Shift back young man," came my mother's cold voice as she dropped the clothes I'd abandoned when Thomas, Jeffery, and I had scrabbled out the back door before breakfast this morning,

Huffing quietly I did as she asked, pulling on the well-worn clothes. Daddy loped into the house to get dressed himself with a heated sigh of his own. The clearing was practically deserted this morning, save for Miss Rose, a pretty wolf widowed by last year's rogue-attack getting water. Scowling as I tugged my shirt over my fly-way platinum strands, Momma grabbed my arm, hauling me inside the wood stove warmed cabin. The door shut with a small rattle and Momma instantly fell to her knees, hugging me tightly against her body. "Colton! I thought you'd died! I go in there wondering what's taking you so long and you're...gone."

I felt guilty as I saw her green eyes swimming with tears. But I was also annoyed. What about Thomas and Jeffery? They were off playing too! "But Momma--"

"No buts young man."

I couldn't help but flinch as my father's voice boomed through the kitchen.

"I'm sorry," I tried. "Tommy and Jeff went too, y'know."

"And they'll be punished for bringing you when they get home." my father retorted in a chipped tone. "Now let's go. You can eat your breakfast when you're finished."

I heard a familiar rustling noise and I whined, knowing exactly what he was doing. The sound of pebbles and stones hit the wooden floor in the corner. The bag of stones and gravel was usually used in the winter for when the paths got icy. But they were used all year round as a punishment for us, as well as three other cabins with 'naughty' pups and firm parents. "Twenty minutes, Colton. If you ask to be done early, time will be added."

I looked at Momma, knowing she could sometimes reduce my time by upwards of ten minutes. She didn't look at me though, going to the stove in the corner starting frying Daddy's eggs. "Colton."