chapter 2 : comfort of a stranger

his lips felt soft on mine but it tasted like cigarettes. i tried pushing him away but he didn't want to let me go. i had no choice but to slap him, everyone looked at us and tried to meddle in our situation.

"everything's fine! i just saw a mosquito on his cheeks and killed it!" i showed them my fake smile and they fell for it.

everyone went back to their business, i took a glimpse at the purple haired man in front of me that was quiet for a while now.

"why do i have to suffer?" his voice was low but it was enough for me to hear it.

"i didn't mean to slap you, it's just that you didn't want to pull away and kissing someone without their permission is bad." i grabbed a glass and filled it with water then offered it to him.

"what would you feel if you saw the person you love get married with another man?" his head remained low.

"i'll feel hurt duh!" he didn't want to drink the water so i took it instead. then i realized what he meant, spitting the water in my mouth as my eyes widened at the man in front of me.

"wait! are you saying that you're in love with that bride from earlier?!" i felt a sting in my chest as he nodded slowly.

"i'm happy for her but it hurts, you know?" the lights hit his face and i saw him crying.

he tried to wipe them with his shirt, i took out my handkerchief and offered it to him. i didn't know what to say and i'm usually bad at comforting people. he gladly accepted my handkerchief and smiled at me.

"do you know that you're even more handsome when you smile?" i pulled out a chair and sat beside him.

my body was facing him, my elbow on the counter, and my full attention on him. there was something about him that caught my attention and i want more of it.

"i know i'm handsome and aren't you quiet bold to say those things?" he took the glass that i gave earlier and finished the water left.

"that's an indirect kiss." i furrowed my eyebrows pointing at the part where we both positioned our lips.

"i already tasted your lips before we had an indirect kiss. besides, it's just an indirect kiss nothing special about it." he pressed his lips once again on the glass.

"or perhaps you get flustered over the little things?" his body is now facing towards me.

this mysterious man stole my first and indirect kiss. of course i would get flustered but i didn't want him to see through me.

"i don't get flustered easily." my voice was stern, i hope he doesn't see me as an easy target and with those good looks? for sure he gets a lot of woman.

his feet went their way down at the metal of my bar stool pulling my chair close to him. he smirked holding the glass, he stuck his tongue out and licked the part where i last placed my lips.

is he teasing me now? i want to thank the person who's in charge of the party lights for this night since the lights were focused on the dance floor. i don't want him to see my tomato face.

"i don't understand what's happening right now, a minute ago you were crying and now you're flirting with me? what exactly do you want?" i tried to change the topic and he took the bait.

"i don't know, i feel so lost right now." his eyes went towards the dance floor not really paying attention at me.

"are you looking for a woman perhaps? like someone to play with to forget her?" something like this usually happens and it's just a guess.

his attention went back at me as he looked at me with emotionless eyes. did i say something wrong?

"am i right? i never had a boyfriend so i can volunteer myself to play with you and i find you interesting-" i was cut off when he suddenly stood up.

"no, i don't want to play games." his breathing suddenly changed as he seemed to panic.

"h-hey! did i say something wrong? i didn't mean to and i'm sorry." i held his hand and went our way on top of the building once again to give him fresh air.

honestly, i'm at lost right now and i didn't understand what's happening. when i mentioned the word play he suddenly got scared. he's facing the city in front of us and his thoughts flying away with the cold wind.

"i don't want to play again." after a long silence he speaks again.

"again?"

"the woman i was referring to earlier, i lost her because of a stupid game i started. i'm scared that history will repeat itself." is he that in love with her? how can he love once again if he fell too deep?

"sorry, i was selfish and didn't even considered your feelings." looking down as i took a glimpse at the busy streets of tokyo.

"you don't have to apologize." we both stayed silent until the night sky lit up and was filled with fireworks.

the sky was filled with different colors as everyone cheered. it came from the beach, he was looking at the fireworks as a small smile curled on his lips.

"i'm sorry for the late introductions, rindou haitani." he offered his hand.

"(first name) (last name), nice to meet you." we both accepted each other's hands and shared a smile.

"do you mind being friends?" rindou asked, oh so after kissing me he wants us to be friends?

"i don't want to." he looked at me with a disgusted expression as he flicked my forehead.

"do you even realize that rindou haitani is asking you to be friends with him?"

"i don't even know who you are and don't flick my forehead because we're not that close!" i pulled his long hair and he tried to escape by tickling me.

both of us were laughing as we chased each other like little kids. the floor was cold on our backs, we're watching the fireworks while laying on the floor. it's my first time hanging out with a boy and my heart is beating fast.

"do you think i'll be able to move on?" rindou's face is now facing me.

he still looks handsome even in this angle, his left arm behind his head and his right arm behind me. that's kind of him even if he keeps on teasing me.

"moving on doesn't usually take a long time, it depends on the person but my grandmother told me that once you already met the person you love, you'll forget all the pain you've been through and you'll be able to smile again."

"your situation is similar to her, she was once in love with a man but he left her for another woman. a year went by then my grandmother met my grandfather, she was able to smile again because of gramps and i'm happy for her. the person you love will eventually find their way in your life. that's why you should be patient, rindou."

all my life i never had a boyfriend, saying these kinds of things makes me feel embarrassed since i don't have any experience in relationships. quiet sobs filled the place, i let him cry because he's been hiding those emotions for a while now.

"let it all out, cry until you get tired, you don't have to hide anything." i waited patiently beside him, i know what it feels like to save up all your emotions.

"thank you." rindou's voice was soft like the wind and i felt his sincerity.

"you're welcome and we can be friends."

both of us stayed in that position, star gazing, and telling each other our problems. it's kind of absurd how a stranger can make you feel safe and can give you comfort more than anyone in this world.