Pulse

Ben had sensed something was wrong after Rey had wished him good humor on his shopping trip. He could not place the feeling but knew something was amiss. Leia noticed Ben's annoyance had disappeared and replaced by a deep concern. When she had asked him if everything was alright, Ben simply stated he did not know. He focused on Rey and yet, she was fine, at least for now.

"This is something else." Ben exhaled. "We should go."

As soon as Ben arrived home, the scene before him petrified him. A trail of blood leading to his bedroom, and as he opened the door he saw a hysterical Rey on their bloodstained bed, all the while a medical droid was taking her vitals. Ben knew what he had to do and that was to remain calm.

Leia soon followed and, she too, had to find the courage not to cause a panic.

"The medic will be here soon." A maid assured Leia as she came into the room. She looked back at Ben who was now sitting next to Rey, stepped closer to Leia and whispered, "The bleeding has slowed, ma'am, but it won't stop. We told the mistress it's normal when in labor."

"Thank you, Ann, you may go." Leia said as Ann curtsied and left the family alone.

"...but you're doing great." Leia heard Ben whisper to Rey.

"He's right," Leia encouraged, "remember your doctor said an early labor is common with this condition. You'll see, all will be alright." Leia could not help but notice how Rey's complexion looked faded, making her usually red lips, seem dull, uncolored; she was losing too much blood.

"I'm tired." Rey stated as Ben took her hand in his.

To Ben's dismay, Rey's hand was chilled and as he cupped her cheek, so was her face. "Hmm, after this is over, you can take a nap."

Rey nodded weakly in his direction while her lids became heavy. "Why are you crying?" There was a somnolent tone in her voice.

Ben sniffed, "I'm not. I ran here, it's sweat."

"FETAL PULSE DECREASE BY SIX PERCENT. FETAL PULSE DECREASE BY SEVEN PERCENT. MOTHER'S PULSE DECREASE BY ELEVEN PERCENT." The medical droid announced.

"Mom."

Leia empathized and left the room to give them privacy. She knew what was happening and understood Ben did too, Rey had loss too much blood and was experiencing a hemorrhage. The risk of losing their children was a possibility. The risk of losing Rey, unfortunately, was also a possibility.

"Hey," Ben started softly, "I have a present for you. It was going to be a wedding present but why not give it to you as a birth present." Rey's eyes had closed but a smiled assured Ben, she was still present.

"FETAL PULSE DECREASE BY NINE PERCENT. FETAL PULSE DECREASE BY TEN PERCENT. MOTHER'S PULSE DECREASE BY FOURTEEN PERCENT."

"I have been working on something that will make you proud to be my wife." Ben sniffed again. "But, sweetheart, I can't give it to you physically. It's more of an eye-catching present. We would have to travel." Ben's breath became somewhat shaky as Rey's side of the bond began to feel weak and empty.

"...I...love...you..." Rey managed to say. "I got...you...a present too..."

"You did?"

"Ja...de..."

"Jade?"

"...Jade...Olivia...Solo..."

"Ah," Ben squeezed Rey's cold hand. "I love it." Ben quietly chuckled at a thought. "Green? For the forest?"

"Yes...I love...greenery...you...you know...that..."

"I do." He said as he kissed her wrist.

"Ben...I'm...getting...sleepy..."

Ben moved closer to Rey and placed a kiss on her icy temple. "I know, Rey, I know but can you stay awake a little longer? Can you do that, my love? Please...please."

"OUT!" Finally, Rey's doctor arrived with a full medical team and equipment. "NOW!"

Ben was pushed away from Rey by a nurse who was urgently setting up an I.V. and before Ben could protest, Leia grabbed his sleeve and dragged him out.

"Mom, I need..."

"You need to stay out of the way and let them work!"

Time stood still as the waiting began. It was agony for Ben to wait outside closed doors knowing on the other side, his family was slipping away. Rey's presence in their bond was still too weak, there was a small spark, but still depleted. Suddenly Ben found himself thinking about the first time he saw Rey. How she was shooting at him, terrified of him. Their first force connection, their first lightsaber duel. He recalled the time in the elevator where he wanted to kiss her but held back. Memories of him and Rey together swarmed his mind. Her smile, her laugh, her warmness, and especially her love.

"We're a dyad in the force, Rey. Two that are one." He recollected saying as they were on the way to Exegol to defeat Palpatine.

"I'm not sure what that means." Rey replied.

"Unseen for generations, together we hold a power like life itself. We are stronger together and with time, our bond will become stronger. We will be invincible, you and I."

"So, what, you are like my soulmate or something?"

"Erm, let's not discuss that now. It's not as if we need to get married and start a family."

How had he survived life without Rey, Ben wondered? All these years loneliness was his only friend and yet somewhere out there, a mere scavenger, held the same mutual friend as him.

Meanwhile, Ben squatted down, lowered his head, and granted his tears permission to fall. After a while, he felt a pat on the back and saw a pair of legs make his way down to meet him.

"She's strong, sir, she'll be alright." Ben turned his head and to his surprised, found Hux consoling him. "Now for those babies," Hux clicked his tongue, "they will survive. The little creatures are half her and half you, sir. Half Palpatine, half Skywalker. Look out, future bad guys, am I right, sir?"

Still with tears down his face, Ben did not know what to say while Hux continued to pat his back.

It was then Ben felt Rey; he felt them. He then heard them.

He stood and opened the door.

He saw them...they were small...they were here...they were perfect...