Wondering

Ben felt something was happening. By this point, Rey knew she could not hide anything, at least not from him. Although Rey insisted nothing was the matter, Ben understood better.

He had come to his quarters while The Supremacy was tackling the long journey to Naboo. Ben realized Rey would give birth soon and so planned to stay at their new home until the birth of his children. Unfortunately for Kylo, Naboo, after the clone wars and the corruption of Palpatine, had remained neutral between the Resistance and The Order. No longer were they part of the Republic as they opt to be an independent planet from all. If The Resistance or The Order had to go to Naboo, or had to be in its atmosphere, they had to ask permission or be attacked on sight.

Leia completely agreed with her son in having Rey give birth on a stable planet and so, using her connections, had made it possible for the couple to stay in their new home until the birth and afterwards. The senate of Naboo was made aware the lake house was now in the property of the Kylo Ren and, though they did not like it, the senate reluctantly arranged for the dyads to live there if they choose to do so. The only condition was the fleet had to stay in its atmosphere and, only with permission, could some units be allowed to touch planet. Naboo had not seen war for a time and wished to remind a peaceful planet.

The journey to Naboo would take at least three or four days and since nothing exciting was happening, Kylo had giving the order not to be disturbed until they had arrived. This week he had spent too much time apart from Rey and Ben wanted nothing more than to be left alone. Meanwhile, Rey was all too happy to spend time with her love.

Rey was sitting on the edge of the bed while Ben was on the floor by her feet, studying an ancient fragment he had gained on his last outing to a planet. Rey had to ease him into the conversation and the best way to do so was while she braided Ben's hair. Leia had asked the young Jedi to converse with Ben about their plans. The only problem was, Rey was aware, Ben would not take to kindly to this request.

"Ben," Rey asked with anxiety. "I was wondering if you would...um...be...be...be, um..."

"Be?" Ben curiously asked.

"Leia, your mom...your mom...not mine...I didn't even know the woman until two years ago...did you know she was married to your dad? Han Solo...he was a smuggler...pilot really..." Ben shook his head and was flabbergasted by Rey's sudden case of incoherent thoughts. "I was wondering...wondering if you..."

"With your permission, I can extract the thoughts from your mind and allow this conversation to flow." Ben teased as he turned to kneel in front of Rey. "What is it?"

"Your mom asked me if it was okay with us, with you, for her to come and visit us in Naboo." Rey locked eyes with Ben. "...and...stay...stay with us until the birth..." With that said, Ben stood and deeply sighed. "It would be nice to have her around and it would only be her and quite possible Chewie but that's all."

"Rey."

"Before you get mad at her, I'm the one who suggested it. You got along with her fine in Chandrila."

"That, that was different." Ben countered. "I spoke to her when needed. I can't imagine living with her after she threw me away when I was too much for her. When I confused her on what I was and what I would become. Now she wants to come back when I don't have need for her. Where was she, they, when I did need them?"

He was frustrated on how little Rey understood his stance with his parents. They had failed him as much as he had failed them. Han was always out on journeys, his smuggling more important than his own son, while Leia had been kept busy fighting for those in the Republic. They did not stop to ask what Ben wanted or needed from them. All he wished for was their attention and love, a love they only showed to their cause.

"She didn't throw you away. They loved you, you know they did."

He did not mean to sound unpleasant, but it was too late when he uttered the words, "Like your parents loved you? Don't act like you know everything when you were thrown away too. My parents will disappoint you in the end so stop trying to make them your own."

Rey was stunned by his words. She knew Ben's parents were the subject of rage for him and she would always have to tiptoe around the subject. "I would like to have a normal conversation with Ben, not Kylo."

"Certainly, because every time I become a raging, dark aura you blame Kylo. Well guess what, sweetheart, those people you like so much made me like this."

"You too are to blame for the outcome. If you would have only spoken to them about your dark thoughts, who knows, maybe they would have listened."

"Listened?" Ben was furious. "When would I had had the time when they were not present. Should I have asked Luke before or after he tried to kill me? No, sweetheart, they never had the time."

"Like you?" Rey had been holding her tongue on a certain issue for a while. "You are never around either. You asked me to join you and you constantly leave me alone. Everyone here is cruel to me and you don't see it. You're always busy with meetings and going to God knows where in your TIE!"

"You asked for it; you wanted peace in the galaxy, and this is what I am working towards. If it were up to me, I would kill all your rebel friends and be done for the day. I don't need them in my galaxy." As Rey's tears flowed, Ben realized his mistake and closed the gap between them as he hugged her. "I'm sorry. I did not mean that."

"Yes, you did." Rey sniffed.

"Yes, I did." Ben sighed. "Can't get anything pass you." He kissed Rey's forehead and felt like the biggest nerf herder there was. "I supposed I envy the relationship you have with my mother. The one you had with my father before...you know."

Ben had formed some jealousy regarding the relationship between his fiancé and mother. He never meant to, but the feeling was there. It was irritating for him to watch them hug or talk about their day so casually. Both ladies would talk everyday with each other and sometimes two or three times a day. Leia would always make time for Rey. Why not for Ben?

"I don't want to have our children feel what I did growing up. I hate being away from you all day but if we can have this peace before the birth, we can finally take some time for ourselves."

"Is that not what your mom told herself?" Rey whispered.

Ben chuckled at his dyad's response. He hadn't given his mother's perspective any thought. He only assumed she was far too busy for him but the work she was doing was for him. His dad would sometimes suspend a planned trip to be with Ben while his mother worked. Ben recalled the days he would snuggle with his dad on the couch while they watched his favorite holoshow, Moray and Faz. Han hated the cartoon but would watch it solely to spend time with a young Ben. Before he left for Jedi training, he remembered the stuffed porg his parents bought him in case he felt homesick.

As the couple stood there in an embrace, Rey began to receive a transmission. They stared at each other, understanding it was now or never. After a moment, and knowing what Ben wanted, she accepted the call.

"I hope I'm not disturbing y-" Leia paused her thoughts as her eyes welcomed the view before her. Leia Organa was not one to keep quiet about anything, but the sight of the transmission was enough to render her speechless.

"Hi...mom..."