Comfort In The Darkest Of Times

•••

•••

The inside of the helicarrier was completely quiet. Everyone was thinking about what they'd seen in their vision. Lexie was holding her phone in her hand, seeing Erins messages come in, expressing her concern after having seen the news of Bruce destroying an entire city, but she couldn't bring herself to respond. She didn't know what to say.

She just listened to Hill speaking over the radio, letting the feeling of hopelessness consume her as the occasional silent tear rolled down her cheek. "The news is loving you guys. Nobody else is. There's been no official call for Banners arrest, but it's in the air."

"The Stark Relief Foundation?" Tony asked her.

"Already on the scene. How's the team?"

"Everyone's..." his eyes drifted over to Lexies form where she was sat in the corner and staring into thin air, turning sad. "We took a hit. We'll shake it off."

"Well, for now, I'd stay in stealth mode and stay away from here."

"So, run and hide?" 

"Until we can find Ultron, I don't have a lot else to offer."

"Neither do we," he sighed, looking at his team, before ending the call. He walked up to Clint, who was piloting. "Hey, you wanna switch out?"

"No, I'm good," he responded. "If you wanna get some kip, now's a good time because we're still a few hours out."

"Few hours from where?"

"A safe house."

Tony, realizing he wasn't getting anything more out of him, sighed and moved away. He walked over and looked down at Lexie. "You okay, kiddo?" When she looked up at him, he finally saw the tears in her eyes as she shook her head slightly. He silently sat down next to her and wrapped and arm around her shoulder. She put her head on his shoulder, and he could hear her sniffle as quietly as possible, not wanting to bring the others' attention to her. "You wanna talk about it?"

She shook her head 'no' again, muttering the word so softly and quietly, he wouldn't have heard it had his sole focus not been on her. Lexie couldn't bring herself to talk about it, not yet at least. Eventually she would, she just couldn't right now, not when the memory was so fresh.

"Okay," he muttered, almost as softly, but stayed put where he was, not leaving her, and eventually, they fell asleep. Both their minds haunted by fear.

•••

Lots of Irondad in this one, hope you liked it. 

I know Tony isn't really the most parenty of the characters at this point in the actual movies, but that's because he didn't have anyone to be a father-figure for. Peter hadn't been introduced yet and Morgan hadn't been born. In this story though, he does, and I feel like he would really try his best, so that's what I'm trying to write.

Vote and comment xx