Concussions And Broken Ribs, Great (Note The Sarcasm)

•••

•••

After Tony had finished talking with Steve and Fury on the bridge, he walked to Lexie's hospital room. She still hadn't woken up, but she was stable and her injuries were surprisingly not so bad considering the fall she took. 

He sat down in the chair next to her bed just as she stirred and opened her eyes, quickly looking around the silent room, before her eyes landed on Tony. "What happened?" she furrowed her brows. "My head hurts."

"You went up against Loki on your on and ended up taking a bit of a tumble," he explained simply, but things were starting to come more together now. "You have a concussion..."

"Coulson!" she tried to sit up, but a flare of pain came from her side and she immediately stopped.

"Stay still, your rib is broken."

"Ouch," she scrunched her nose, before frowning. "He's gone isn't he?" she already knew the answer, but needed to hear it from someone.

"Yeah," he nodded sadly.

"It's my fault," she sighed sadly. "I should've seen it coming and done something."

"There wasn't anything you could do," he shook his head. "You might be a little powerhouse, but he's a god. You weren't prepared for anything like that."

"I had him," she looked at Tony with tears in her eyes. "I could've killed him."

"Yeah, you could've," he nodded, "but you didn't. I would've killed him, but I suppose you're a bit kinder than me."

"That's not really helping."

"Okay, let's say you killed him, hm? Then what? You would've died using that much power, you're still learning."

"At least Coulson wouldn't have died for nothing."

"He won't have."

"Loki got away."

"Then we'll find him again," he said confidently, not really feeling it, but wanting to make the young brunette feel better. He wasn't generally good with kids, but Lexie needed someone. He and Lexie didn't really have a lot in common, but he saw a lot of himself when he was her age in her: alone, lost, and what felt like the world on her shoulders. He didn't have anyone growing up, Lexie still had a chance. He stood up and sighed heavily, putting on a small smile. "Get some rest," he said before walking out.

•••

Lexie had woken up a while ago, Natasha had stopped by after hearing she was up and they'd spoken for a bit, now Lexie was alone again. She was going over what had happened over and over again in her head, which certainly wasn't helping her concussion, her head was throbbing by now. She was also contemplating what Tony had told her. He was right, of course, there wasn't much else she could've done, and killing Loki would've killed her in the process, but still, she couldn't help but feel guilty.

She didn't register Steve walking in at first, but when he cleared his throat to catch her attention she looked up. "Time to go."

"Where," she looked at him weirdly.

He walked over and helped her sit up, and then stand without hurting her rib too much. She was dizzy at first, but that faded and was bearable. "Loki's going to Stark tower. You got a suit?"

"Not really, just this," she pointed to what she was wearing, which was relatively normal clothes for a teenager, but still something that was easy to move in. "I'll go get my katana though."

"Ok, go do that and then meet me, Romanoff and Barton by the jet," he was about to leave the room, but paused at the door. "You sure you're up for this?"

"Yeah, course," she smiled crookedly and shrugged. "It doesn't hurt too bad."

"Fine," he sighed with a small frown on his face. "Just stay close to one of us."

"Roger that," she laughed at his unamused expression. He just shook his head and left the room, letting a small smile form on his lips.

Lexie took a deep breath, at least as deep as she could with a broken rib, and walked out as well, heading towards the weaponry where she knew they'd put her katana.

•••

Kind of a filler chapter, but I love Tony slowly becoming a father figure for her. Next chapter is the Battle of New York and there'll definitely be some badass Lexie scenes.

Vote and comment, I'd love some feedback xx