And So It Begins

•••

•••

The only sound that could be heard in the small room at the S.H.I.E.L.D. base was a clock ticking. The two hands moving slowly as time went on. You could also occasionally hear the soft, turning of a page, as the only occupant in the room was sat in a chair reading. There wasn't much in the room. Only a bed in the corner, a nightstand where the clock was placed, counting away the hours the girl spent in the room, a small dresser, and lastly, a bookshelf, filled with all kinds of stories she could lose herself in. There wasn't much else to do, to be honest. 

Lexie Williams had grown up here. Because of her powers S.H.I.E.L.D. had taken her in when she was only five years old. They figured it would be safer to have her on their side, and to keep her close, rather than having her roaming around in the world where HYDRA could find her. She didn't have many memories of her parents, all she knew was that they had been killed by HYDRA the same day Lexie had been taken by S.H.I.E.L.D. Guess they came just in time, otherwise HYDRA would've had her in their clutches, and could've used her and her powers as they pleased. 

Now, eleven years later, the sixteen-year-old was learning how to fight, using both her powers and weapons. Her favorite weapon to use was a katana and she was working on mastering it. She was also getting to use her powers, but under very strict circumstances. Because of this, she didn't know the full extent to her powers, and she was very certain that she could do much more than what S.H.I.E.L.D. allowed her to do. As much as they wanted to use her powers when the time came, they were also scared of how powerful the girl truly was. Necromancers were very rare, and when one did show up, destruction always seemed to follow. That's why they kept Lexie from learning everything she was capable of, and kept a close eye on her development.

The peace was interrupted as Phil Coulson walked into the room. "Lexie, come with me, please," he said while standing in the doorway. She sighed, but didn't say anything as she closed her book and walked out after him. 

They walked in silence towards the stairwell where they stopped. Coulson turned to and asked: "Ready to test if all that training's paid off?"

"What?" she asked, confused. "What's happened?"

"You remember the tesseract?" he received a nod. "It's been stolen."

"Holy shit," she muttered. "By who?"

"Loki."

"That guy from before?"

"That's the one. He has a weapon and was able to compromise doctor Selvig and Barton."

"Barton!? Does Natasha know?"

"I'm calling her right now," he said, pulling out his phone before smiling excitedly at her. "We're bringing the Avengers together, kid, and you're part of it."

As he called Natasha, Lexie tuned out what he was saying, thinking about how she would finally be allowed to do something. Eleven years of being shut away from the outside world, and now she suddenly had to help saving it. That's a lot of pressure.

"Put the woman on the phone or I will blow up the block before you can make the lobby," she heard as she tuned back into what was going on around her.

"Charming," she said under her breath.

It seemed to work though, as Coulson quickly said: "We need you to come in... This takes precedence... Natasha, Barton's been compromised," Lexie looked down at her shoes sadly, knowing how close Natasha and Barton were. She had never personally met Barton, but Natasha had been the one training her for a few years now and had told her stories, including a very interesting one about something that happened in Budapest. 

She and Coulson stood waiting patiently for Natasha to finish with her prior engagements, before returning to the phone call. "We don't know," Coulson said, responding to Natasha's question. "We think so. I'll brief you on everything when you get back. But first, we need you to talk to the big guy... Oh, I've got Stark. You get the big guy," he said before the pair hung up. He turned back to Lexie and handed her a folder he'd been given by a passing agent. "Here's all the information you need on what's going on, as well as intel on all your teammates. Read up while I go get Stark."

She nodded as he began walking away. "Good luck," she called to him, having heard from Natasha how much of a pain in the ass the billionaire could be.

"Thanks," Coulson replied without looking back. "I'll need it."

She nodded and turned to walk away as well while opening the folder. "This is going to interesting"

•••

Well, here's the first chapter. It's not very long or interesting, but you get an introduction to Lexie and learn more about her backstory. The next chapter will be published on Monday. I like having specific days where I publish new chapters so they'll be posted on Mondays and Fridays. Hope you like it. Vote and comment, I'd love to hear what you think xx