Chapter 16

Artemis was severely intrigued. 

What a curious person, she thought to herself as she watched the boy tremble in place, scared yet keeping a calm mind.. His green eyes never wavered, even when he made eye contact with Zoe who was holding an arrow to his throat. His life was threatened, yet he didn't panic and simply took in the situation. 

He was an intriguing creature. Everything about him was a question, but unlike other males, she wanted to learn more about him. For the first time in a while she wanted her questions answered. 

To start with first impressions, she would say that he reminded her of water. Smooth and agile he evaded her chase, weaving through trees, giving her just a glimpse of his shadow. He would slip away just as she would catch up to him. It was almost as if the forest itself was aiding him, blocking her path and making way from him. 

Even though he put up a fight, she caught him quickly. She was the goddess of hunting, after all. Yet in the back of her mind, she had to admit that he had skills. Instincts of a hunter and keen sense of a predator, the little boy was different than children his age. 

She was looking at him closely now. She'd cornered him, wanting to know why such a child was in a forest and running away from her. There was no reason for him to flee so earnestly when he didn't even know her. He shouldn't have know that she was the man-hating goddess. Though maybe Zoe prowling behind her might've scared him. 

But looking at him now, she doubted her belief. He was forced to cower under Zoe's arrow, but his eyes had a particular sparkle she was familiar with. He was a demigod and knew

She recognized the look of forlorn sorrow and hard strength these children needed to survive the harsh side of their world. She could see his trauma and sleepless nights. She saw the same eyes her hunters looked to her. She pitied him, but not enough to garner sympathy. 

She tried to guess his parent; It didn't take very long. Black hair, sea- green eyes. It was obvious and baffling. Poseidon broke his oath? She shook her head, expecting nothing less of a man. At least the child seemed to only have those attributes from his father. The rest of him was foreign and pleasing to the eyes, surprisingly. His mother must've been pretty, she thought to herself. 

But there was till something different about him. He gave off a familiar energy, but she couldn't place her finger on it. It felt omnipotent and strong, much different than what one would expect from a demigod, even if he was a child of the big three. He was powerful and if she were to guess his potential, she wouldn't be able to answer. 

So she ordered him to talk. 

She took a seat, motioning towards Zoe to let him breathe, noticing how tense he'd gotten. He'd been as still as a rabbit, with coiled muscles and darting eyes. Smart.

While he was given the short reprieve, she noticed a very peculiar thing. The forest did not welcome her. All forests were sacred to her and she had a natural affinity towards the wild and its animals, but for some reason, it was hostile towards her. She could sense the dryads but nothing more and nor could she see the usual gathering of animals ready to flock and coddle her.

There were a few critters, but they all were away, except for a pair of deep blue eyes which glared at Zoe. They belonged to a bird, a raven who was openly showing her hostility to her. Artemis had never been met with a wild animal who disliked her. She was the protector of animals yet she was showing such distrust? She shook it off, noticing that Percy was speaking. 

He got up from his crouch- like position, not bothering to dust himself off and knelt gracefully, surprising her. He must've been tired after all that running and leaping but he didn't show it, only giving a hint when his voice came out in short bursts. 

"I greet Lady Artemis and her lieutenant." He bowed his head making her lift a brow in surprise. So he knew about her hunters and even recognized Zoe's circlet? He was already doing better than 90% of males she'd encountered. Even Zoe seemed glad to be recognized for once. He looked no more than 10 and still was so well-educated in the greek world.

"My name is Perseus." He paused for a second, as of deciding something. "Percy Jackson." He was still on the ground, not even looking up. Zoe was right beside him, occasionally flipping her knife to threaten him, but it wasn't really working.

He took a deep breath and continued. "I am the son of the sea god and have received the blessing of nature." Artemis jerked. So that was the energy she'd felt before. But she wondered...

"That's not all, is it?" Her eyes gleamed with a predatory sheen. Percy must've felt it because he shifted under her heavy gaze, uncomfortable. 
"Yes... I have also been blessed by... Pan." He chewed out. 

He was just getting even more and more interesting, she realized. The shock made her unconsciously transformed into her adult form, but she let it be. She had different things to worry about. 

Since she herself was connected to nature in several ways, and especially since forests and wildlife were sacred to her, she had a deep bond with nature. It had been a very long time since she'd heard of Pan, and hearing that he blessed a human was something completely unexpected.

Just as she held distrust for the male population, she was familiar with Pan's hostility towards humans. What did this child do to gain his trust? And not to mention he had received the blessing of nature as well...

"You may rise, child of nature." She acknowledged him. No nature spirit would carelessly give such an ancient blessing without reason. Even if she didn't trust him, she trusted the spirit's and Pan's judgment. She wouldn't disrespect the vessel of earth.

"Yes, my Lady." He got up and cleaned himself a bit, straightening his clothes and wiping the dirt from his face and hands. He surprised her once more when he didn't sit, instead standing like a soldier and keeping his head tilted in a respectful manner. She could still see that he was uncomfortable, but it was a given.

"Now tell me your story." Artemis said. She wanted to know how exactly he had gained the affection of the nature spirits and a god who had been dormant for centuries because of humans. 

The greatest powers are given to those who suffer the most, and the child in front of her was no exception.