Chapter 9

Luke, Thalia and Annabeth stayed in the reserve for 3 more days, recovering and relaxing. Though they felt like they were intruding, Percy was enjoying the company. He had spent his years among the nature spirits who looked younger than their ways suggested, and had adapted the habit as well, but among the trio, he realized the value of being around those who were closer to his age. It was fun. 

Even the nature spirits were enjoying the new atmosphere, albeit they weren't as comfortable with them as they were with him. The presence of natures blessing was like a door only accessible to him. It didn't bother the demigods though. They were hesitant in their own way.

"Strengthen your core." He stepped back for a minute to observe her again. "Relax your shoulders. Keeping them tight will restrict your movement." He demonstrated the move again, doing it slowly, emphasizing his movements.

Annabeth copied him, her eyes hard with concentration while her eyebrows furrowed in a frown. She'd been working on the same move for a while now and yet it was impossible for her to do as Percy did. 

Look for an opening in the opponent, get behind them and aim for their side, and jab them hard in the waist while using your ankle to pull one of the enemy's foot from under them. It sounded simple in theory, but in practice, it was extremely difficult to do. The results were extraordinary though. The first time he did it to her, she was so startled by the strike in her side that her arm had gone weak and her dagger dropped from her fingers. The next second, she felt his foot under hers and her body betrayed her and she'd fallen flat on the ground. It was, in all, a very disorienting experience.

They were required to move swiftly behind them and finish the move before the opponent became aware of their intention while preventing themselves from tripping while using their foot. It required precise agility, something she wasn't very used to. She had only used hammer and planks of wood before, and recently, the knife Luke had given her. But all she could do with it was slash wildly hoping to hurt the monster. 

So she decided to ask Percy for lessons after seeing him fight. Like Luke said, it was scary, but to her, it was exhilarating. It screamed freedom and independence, something she craved. So the very next minute, she went to him and requested his help. It was a bit awkward, and asking him did hurt her pride a bit, but the desire of learning how to fight was more persuasive. 

Since they weren't staying long, Percy had told her that they'd only focus on learning some movements instead of an overall growth. She'd agreed completely, knowing that was the only method to bring results without much time. Being a demigod gave her certain 'buffs' in fighting, but still she was very lacking compared to him. Knowing that he was so much better being the same age as her only fired her determination more. 

They'd been at it since morning, or rather Annabeth was the one practicing while Percy was sitting on a tree, supervising her. Luke had nagged her because it was rude of her since Percy was busy till dawn killing monsters but she was bursting with excitement to begin. He had simple brushed it off, letting the matter go without much thought. 

It was the third day of her stay and she had noticeable seen the change. Even Luke and Thalia who had opted to observe instead of practicing had picked up some good tips. As he taught her how to hold a dagger properly, he told them the best way to kill various types of monsters and how to avoid them if necessary. He told them of their strengths and what to target. It was definitely going to helpful when they would head to Camp Half-Blood. 

Abruptly, Annabeth stopped her practice, making Percy cock his head to a side. He jumped down from the nearest tress, landing softly with bent knees rising a soft cloud of dust at his feet. Poor Keria sneezed, making him apologize while she pecked at him. 

The baby bird might be the only one able to hurt him. No, she might be the only one allowed to hurt him.

She shook her head, mad at her ADHD. Thinking about Camp Half-Blood had brought upon a sudden thought. "Why don't you come with us." She raised her head excitedly. "To Camp Half-Blood? Lord Hermes- Luke's father- had told him in a dream to come there. Apparently, its a safe place for demigods like us. He even said that a satyr was sent to look out for them—" She kept on talking animatedly, failing to notice how Percy had gone stiff. 

"I'm sorry, but no, I won't be coming with you." He cut in sharply, politely declining. Till them Thalia and Luke were also listening with perked ears. Though they were disappointed by his response, they didn't want to question him further.

For the first time since they'd met him, Percy was wearing an expression of disgust. Even when he'd fight with monsters had he never looked that way.  They didn't understand but they respected his choice. They owed him that much.

Percy was taken aback when she asked him that. The thought of leaving hadn't even occurred to him. 

Though he acted uninterested in his demigod life, he though differently. He held a deep grudge for the gods, especially his 'father'. Where was he when his mother was abused by Gabe? Where was he when he cried himself to sleep each night, clutching his injuries? Where was he when they needed him?

Even now, there was no contact, no word from the god of the seas, neither the greek one nor the roman one. It hurt him deeply, knowing that the one who sired him held so much power yet chose to ignore his mother. And his resentment influenced his image of the Camp as well.

A place for the gods to dump their children so that they would do their bidding and put themselves in danger while they sat upon their thrones, not even grieving for their sacrifices for their selfish desires?

He wanted no part in that kind of world. 

"Please do me a favor." Percy spoke, breaking the tense atmosphere. 
"Yes, anything." Surprisingly, it was Thalia who said that. She didn't like owing any debts, and the fact that he had treated her injuries made her more determined to repay him. Luke and Annabeth nodded to her words, agreeing. They had their own debts to pay. 

"Swear upon the river Styx to keep my existence a secret." There was only the sound of the rustling leaves as he painstakingly waited for their response. Even Keria had gone rigid in his hands.

"I swear upon the river Styx to keep the existence of Perseus Jackson a secret and not reveal anything about him without his explicit permission." Thalia was the first to swear, bring forth the dramatic thunder behind her words. He inclined his head, thanking her with the utmost sincerity. 

Luke and Annabeth repeated her exact words without delay, pleasing him greatly. He really didn't want to be involved in the mythical word. All he wanted was to  live peacefully, and this was a measure he was willing to take for himself, selfish as it was.