Chapter 48

She was an absolute hellion. 

He didn't notice when she'd woken up, but the little brat attacked right when he dropped his guard. He had just left his hold on her to remove a stay branch in his hair when she'd twisted and tried to jab a sharp rock under his chin. 

Thankfully, Rey stopped in time for Percy to dodge properly, otherwise he wasn't sure if he would've escaped unscathed. Percy pulled the girl with him as he got off Rey, knowing that she would continue to resist.

He saw Jason coming towards them but jerked his head, telling him to stop where he was. In addition, he mentally ordered Rey to move away. He could see the pure panic and desperation in her actions and knew that even if she didn't want to, she would end up hurting them. 

She fought like crazy, doing anything and everything to get herself out of Percy's hold. Her hands were quick and merciless as she aimed for his vital points while Percy did his utmost best to defend as well as prevent her from wriggling away.
She was skilled, he would give her that.

"Stop it." Percy quietly said, pressing down on her wrists. 

She bit him in response, kicking him in the shins. She almost tore a chunk of flesh from his forearm. Percy growled in pain, slowly getting frustrated.

"Enough!" Percy grabbed her ear, shocking her to the point of stillness. "I saved you, do you not remember?" He looked down at her, unconsciously scolding her like he would to Jason. She must've been stunned by his gestures because she just blinked slowly, dropping her hands limply by her sides. 

Percy admonished her more, reminding her how she was just about to be a harpy's food and how dead she would be already if they meant her harm. She simply listened, getting smaller and smaller with every scolding of his. She even nodded along when Percy paused. 

"What is your name?" 
"Reyna."

Percy didn't realize that he continued with the same tone, asking her name as if he was reprimanding her and was taken aback when she answered him readily. He could see the shock on her face when she realized.

"Well, Reyna, can I let you go now?" She nodded fiercely after which Percy let go of his hold on her. He felt a bit sorry when he saw the slight redness around her ear and decided to treat her himself later. Her skin masked the color, but it was still visible. 

"We're going to a place called the Wolf House. Its a place for people like you and me." Percy explained patiently. "You'll understand more when we get there." 

"We were taking you there without your consent because you need to be treated." He said, referring to her several bruises and malnutrition which most probably led her to faint before. She listened with sharp eyes, trying to scour for hidden lies.

He wasn't only talking though. He was multi-tasking. He tossed her the daggers she had with her between words and proceeded to tell her about himself. She listened quietly, enjoying his voice and words. He used his leather bracelet to wrap the bite wound and staunch the bleeding. He motioned for Rey to come back and soothed him before introducing Jason to her.

"His name is Jason. He lives at the Wolf House too." He saw Reyna look him over and let go of her daggers she was clutching, a clear indication. He was safe (for now).

"Do you want to ride alone?" Percy called Reyna closer to him. Maybe she would prefer sitting alone than have a stranger so close. It different before since she had been unconscious, but Percy was ingrained with the importance of personal space and privacy to offer the same again.

She dubiously came closer to Rey. Her reaction to seeing the big wolf solidified the image of a kitten Percy had in mind. She looked absolutely tiny next to Rey, who'd grown to be one of Lupa's largest wolves.

Despite his size, he was one of the gentlest of animals Percy knew. Once he'd been reassured that Reyna wasn't going to hurt him or Percy, he warmed up to her quickly and made himself look smaller so that she wouldn't be scared. But the mini warrior wasn't scared but instead looked to be rather calculative. 

Percy was ready to bet all of his nectar that she was thinking of ways to best him.

"Can I walk?" She asked, looking hesitant to ride the wolf. 
"Can you walk?" Percy asked right back, looking at her scratched up feet.
She flushed slightly, setting her jaw tight.

Jason laughed loudly, slapping his thigh. "Oh, shush." Percy said, hushing Jason who was close to tears. "Don't tease her." He smiled at her in apology.

Her fierce look melted as his looks finally hit her. After seeing the grimy faces of pirates for months, his unique features were a feast for the eyes. His eyes were clearer than the sea she'd seen and his hair was a prettier black than hers. She liked seeing him smile, she decided. 

"Look here." He pointed to the scruff of Rey's neck. "Grab on tightly here but don't dig in with your nails. Lean forward slightly and press your heels to his ribcage. It's a short ride so you'll be fine." He patted her head subconsciously.

He went on with his explanation, completely missing the look of shock she had when he showed her the affection she was longing for. The action was so similar to what her sister did that she felt her head burn with the need of tears. She shook the feeling off, steeling herself again.

"Got it?" Percy looked at her for confirmation, making her realize that she'd missed a good part of his words. 
"Yeah." She nodded.
She'll figure it out. She'd always had.