Chapter 2

Oak was old, centuries old, and her body was slowing down, and yet she couldn't stop herself from becoming his 'grandma' in front of him. It surprised herself how much her maternal instincts butted in when she saw Percy. She had a strict personality but couldn't help doting on the little boy when he waddled up to her, showing  her the newest shape he could form with water. 

His water-bending was progressing at an alarming rate, displaying a clear talent for his parental powers. And with the constant practice he was doing to impress her, she decided that she might have unintentionally created a monster, so was his power. 

As an example, she remembered the day after she met the young child. To repay them, Percy had decided that he would be responsible for watering them. The dryads had laughed to themselves at his cute antics until he brought upon a wave from the single tap in the garden, which was dropless for more than a decade. They watched in wonder as his brow furrowed, and the huge amount of water in air spilt into sections. With a deep breath he pushed each blob of different sizes towards each plant, being mindful not to waste a single drop. He perfectly gave each tree and plant the perfect amount, releasing the water as a circle around the base of their feet.

"How did I do, grandma?" He excitedly asked her, running towards her while inhaling the lovely smell of wet soil. "Well done, Percy." She ruffled his hair, still in shock. A child his age should not be capable of this and yet she believed her eyes. He was powerful, very powerful, but it didn't matter, he was still Percy, a child who was hurting inside.

Though she had vowed to protect him, there was only a limit to what she could do. Even the younglings from the gardens, the rose bushes and even the weeds wanted to do more, wanted to save him from Gabe's terror, but they could not leave their roots. So she decided to arm him.

Knowledge was the greatest weapon anyone could have, and so she would often wait for him under her own leaves, talking to him, teaching him as she stroked his hair while he laid his head on her lap. She told him stories from the olden days, giving him precious tidbits and distracting him from the sound of broken glass and the taste of blood.

He would always come to the garden at noon, and there was never a day that he wasn't in pain. He would call upon water from the ground to heal him, and once his bones mended and his breath stabilized, he would eagerly await her lessons, looking like a excited puppy, and was always reluctant to leave. He would do his best seal-eyes, and she would almost give in, but his grandma had much more willpower than he'd thought.  

She wanted him to run away, leave the horrible place he called home, but for such a demigod like him, the world was filled with monsters who were held at bay just because of the stink of Gabe. Just until Percy was a bit older, he was needed. But that didn't mean that she didn't do her best to help him. She would persuade the already convinced dryads near his home to trouble Gabe as much as possible and keep a watch over him. 

Ever since he received the dryads blessing, he could see them more clearly and communicate freely. He could easily understand them, even though they barely spoke. It was like he had a hoard of overprotective babysitters who were always watching over him. It was surprising how many trees and plants were in the city. 

Whenever he got hurt, the dryads gave him their water to heal, and he would water them later to return the favor. They were literally his life savers, and he knew that as well.

Gabe would always be intoxicated, never suspecting the young child or how he healed himself. In his life, gambling was the only thing that mattered, and when that failed, there was always a punching bag ready for him. Beyond that, he never cared for what he did or ate. His neglect was a small blessing for the siren, who escaped often to garden to meet the dryads and sing for them. 

He slowly grew older as the days went by, learning how to use his voice to please others and using the same to destroy. He learned how emotion played the most important role in manipulating his powers. The more powerful his pain was, the more power he held. It was a bittersweet feeling to know why he was so powerful.  

Oak kept teaching him her knowledge as the weeks passed into months, giving him rare knowledge no one else held.

He learned the secrets of the plants, having knowledge better than any herbal pharmacist. He learned of the ways of the forest from the trees and learned medicine from the herbs and shrubs. He learnt of poisons and their cures and how to respect the environment.

He learned who he was and who sired him. He learnt of the word 'Siren' and the danger which shadowed it. He learned of the Greek mythology and Roman mythology. He learned about the havens created for demigods. 

He learned of the gods and the deities and the demigods who were forgotten. He learned how they failed and how they succeeded. He learned of strategies and the death of the kings who ruled the world. He listened to Oak's stories as she spoke about the Olympians.

He was a naturally smart child with a scary intuition and built-in instincts, but with all the knowledge Oak passed down to him and the physical training she put him through, he could rival some of the minor gods. 

It was a year later when Oak told him to run away. It was the day after his birthday, and Gabe had been exceptionally harsh with him. Even water, as many times he doused himself, could not heal him. He had hobbled to his haven with dark circles from a night full of violence.

He was used to it, but it didn't mean he could feel the pain. He had developed the ability to at least diagnose his injuries through the pain, but even that was difficult that day. He felt like he would pass out any minute and his vision was blurred to the point where he bumped into Oak. 

Seeing his condition, The dryads panicked and lathered him with any and every medicinal herb they could find. The poor boy could only stand still as they swirled around him with Oak hovering anxiously behind them. Once the atmosphere was better and he could think rationally, Oak gingerly held his face in her hands. 

"You need to leave, Percy. Don't stay here any longer." She said, with the other garden dryads nodding furiously behind her. They were sad that he would have to leave them, but his freedom and safety came first. 

"Go where there are trees, the dryads will help you." She said, looking deep into his sea-green eyes. He was taken-aback, but accepted the situation. He wanted to stay with Oak, but doing that would force him under Gabe. 

"I've taught you as much as I know. Use it well. Knowledge is the best weapon you can have, remember that." She beckoned to a young dryad who was carrying a backpack with her. "There's clothes, food, water, a map, and some money with other things we gathered. Go south, and you'll find a forest after a day's walk. Its a nice place. I was going to tell you to run away soon, but I don't want you to stay in that place even a second longer." 

He nodded to her words, memorizing them. The news of his departure was abrupt, and he was scared, but for some reason, relief swirled through him. Just the thought of  being away from Gabe and his abuse brought upon him an unfamiliar peace.

"Remember to keep exercising, okay? And eat well! And don't be shy to talk to the dryads and naiads! And make sure to be polite." She nagged him, while the others piqued up a suggestion or worry here and there.

"Yes! Grandma, don't worry, I'll be fine." He reassured her, smiling at the rest of the dryads.

"Please, just be careful." She stroked his head one last time, and bid him a bittersweet goodbye. He nodded once, and hugged her tightly, inhaling her earthy scent. She hugged him back, kissing his forehead just like his mother used to do. 

He grabbed the backpack and without even a second glance at the house which only held bad memories now, he headed on his new journey grinning ear to ear.