Chapter 12

"At this part," Pan demonstrated the tune again, "try using a lower pitch and go higher as you progress." 

Percy copied him, immediately noting the difference. He naturally had a melodious voice and enough power and emotions to fuel his songs, but he still lacked experience and knowledge of the world of music. It hadn't mattered to him before, but once he heard Pan with his reed pipes sing a funky yet chilling song, he knew just how far his music rated.

Pan, the lord of wild was also the god of folk music and was naturally intrigued by Percy's prodigal prowess in the field. He'd admitted to listening to his tunes and music when he sung for Oak and the dryads and since then, had wanted to listen to him in person.

Percy was happy to oblige even though he wanted to keep his 'sireness' a secret. Pan already knew whatever there was to know, and in all honesty, Percy was eager to learn new songs and explore the folk music which Pan promised to teach him. 

It was a win-win for both. Pan got to listen to the young siren's talent and Percy got to learn new songs and polish his voice. It was a fun-filled journey, one in which he discovered so very much. He'd always just sung whatever song came to mind, or sometimes, just a tune, and poured his emotions in it, but he realized that different songs have different moods and that it affected the outcome of the song quite a lot.

A song about summer with an upbeat tone was easily to manipulate to heal than a sad love song. All he needed to do was think about healing the person instead of bringing up memories about 'healing' and creating a positive atmosphere. It was much simpler and took less of a mental toll on him. 

Pan, though, was very weak. Even holding a conversation was exhausting for him, but he insisted that being around the forest and Percy's singing did help him to a certain degree. Since he wasn't technically sick, Percy could do nothing to treat him, leaving him in a guilty/worried stance. He made sure that he took frequent breaks during demonstrating a piece and tried to compel him to theoretically teach him more instead of exerting himself. 

Touched by his care and amused by his nagging, Pan grew fonder and fonder of the demigod, even though he had promised himself not to trust another human. Slowly, bit by bit, Pan also got to know that there were more people like him; People who had dedicated their lives to preserve nature, people who did anything they could to keep the wilderness alive. 

It did not change the fact that the same humans were killing Earth, but it did change his view about the diversity among humans. Percy, unknowingly, helped Pan understand that there were different types of humans. And for a god who'd seen his domain tarnished and trampled on to simply changing his point of view regarding the matter was considered a huge thing. 

Pan, similarly, helped Percy with his misunderstandings and stereotypes. He had truly believed that all the gods were irresponsible and untrustworthy, but he had come to know that he was being far too conclusive. There were so many gods who actually cared about their children, but couldn't express. It didn't excuse their behavior, but Percy did understand that his hate was misdirected.

Pan was much different from what his image was in his head. When Oak had spoke about him, she'd portrayed him in a revered light. It was understandable since he was her lord, but in reality, Pan was very relaxed and humble. He was benevolent and gracious with perfect manners but he had the warmth of a wise grandfather. He was quite silly at times too. They'd shared many laughs and smiles together.  

Even Keria adored him. She would often perch bravely on his huge curving horns, making them look like branches, while chirping happily. She was growing everyday, and Percy was concerned that her weight would make him uncomfortable but he didn't mind, apparently finding her attitude endearing. Another thing Percy had found out was the Pan was capable of communicating with animals. He was quite in shock since Oak had never told him anything about that. 

Never and excited, the cute boy asked Pan to rely his words to the animals in the forest, telling them how wonderful and amazing they were and to come to him of they had any problems. He spoke to Pan for a while, telling him anything and everything he wanted the critters to know, taken an extra few minutes dedicated to Keria, but after a long, long speech, Pan simply pressed a wrinkled hand on his mouth and suppressed a laugh.

"My dear boy, the wild understands everything. Not everyone speaks the same as you, but we listen. You speak different tongues, but they understand yours."
He laughed openly this time, finding amusement in Percy's shock. 
"The birds and beasts whom you just spoke to are screaming in my mind now, by the way." He pointed to his head where a steady stream of 'thank you!' and 'we love you too!' was coming simultaneously. 

Just as Percy loved the forest, the forest loved him too. 

He flushed deeply, suddenly embarrassed. They all saw heard him ramble and stumble over a mushy speech... and Pan had seen him too! Oh my...

"Come here," Pan waved him over, patting the grass in front of him. He quickly got up and went over, taking the opportunity to forget his embarrassment. The old satyr was in his usual place, leaning against a tree with his reed pipes around his neck. Percy joined him, curious.

Pan didn't say anything and simply looked at him for a while. His blue eyes were unusually  guarded and his forehead sported a subtle frown. It was impossible to know what he was thinking. Then Pan lifted a weak hand and placed it on his forehead, firm and steady. 

And then, Percy glowed.