chapter forty-two

March 9, 2021

"When I get back home, I'm taking you out for your birthday!"

"Four months late?"

"Yeah, but I'll only be on set for a few hours day, so when I get back to the hotel, we are facetiming as long as you can."

He chuckles. "All right."

"I've got to go, but don't you worry birthday boy, I'll send you some hot pictures from my trailer." You smile, biting your lip softly.

Matthew lets out a quiet laugh from the other end of the phone. "I love you."

"I love you too! Talk to you later."

You hang up the phone with a grin still plastered on your face. After pulling into the studio's parking lot, you get out of your car and head for craft services.

"Hey!" Jaiden greets you with a friendly smile.

"Hey," you return the gesture. You grab a donut from the table and pick off a piece before eating it.

"What's up? You seem a bit blue."

"It's my boyfriend's birthday and I'm in another country. I just wish I could at least hug him, ya know?"

She offers you a sympathetic look. "I'm sure he knows he's cared for and appreciated even with you here."

"I hope so."

"My ex girlfriend had to go back home to South Korea for months while we were dating.

"Ex girlfriend?"

"Yeah we broke up. She cheated on me while she was away. I gave a bad example, sorry." She furrows her eyebrows slightly.

You press your lips together in a line and nod. "It's just hard being away. And not just from him, from everyone. I love London, but I'm-"

"A bit home sick?"

"Yeah."

"I know we don't know each other well, but if you need anyone to talk to, I'm here. Actually, I'm one forty second elevator ride away from your room."

You let out a soft laugh. "Thank you."

"Of course, I quite like you. You're fun."

"Even when I'm all mopey?"

"Not really," she smiles, "but your mopiness is excused."

You roll your eyes playfully and head to hair and makeup, then wardrobe afterwards.

_____
"Woah."

"I just poured my feelings out to you and that's all you have to say?"

Carter cupped Paige's face and pulled her in, pressing their lips together softly.

"Your 'woah' is forgiven," Paige smiled.

"I can't get you out of my mind, and it's terrifying. I've never even felt this way for anyone, let alone a girl..."

"It's hard to come to terms with it. I was scared too when I realized."

Carter put her forehead to Paige's.

"You should totally kiss me again."

She smiled and kissed her again. Carter's hands cupped Paige's face as her lips moved against hers. Her soft lips tasted of sugar and a hint of mint, much better than any man's.

"Cut! Good take guys."

"Nice kiss," Jaiden winked.

"Yeah not too bad yourself," you smile.

"Oh you're gone for a week and a half, and you're already making out with someone else?"

You turn around toward the familiar voice. "Gube, what are you doing here?"

"That's not the reaction I was hoping f-"

You run up to him and wrap your arms around his neck. He slides his arms behind your back, around your waist. Matthew picks you up for a second in the hug. He sets you down and pulls away.

"That's more like it."

"How did you? Why didn't you tell me?" A huge grin is plastered across your face.

"It was a surprise. By the way, your director was so cool to let me on set."

"You surprised me for your birthday?"

"Yeah! I figured it would be a great thing for both of us."

"I love this. I love you." You pull him down into another hug.

Matthew chuckles and says "I love you too."

_____
"Okay so wait in my trailer and once I'm done, we can go out."

"I'll be waiting. Hey remember what we did your trailer in LA?"

"Shut up," you smile, closing the door behind you after giving him a little wave.

_____
Matthew plops on your hotel bed after the two of you get home from lunch. "Comfy."

"Yeah, it's not exactly my broken in, fit to my body bed back home, but it's not bad."

"Oh we can break it in," he grabs your hand and pulls you to sit in his lap.

You shake your head in a soft laugh then your face falls.

"What?"

"I didn't get you a present! I was going to ship something-"

"You are the best present I could ask for." Matthew cuts you off with a smile. His hands hold the back of your legs, thumbs caressing back and forth gently.

You smile down at him and move your hair over before pressing your lips to his.

805 words. i feel like my writing is gradually getting worse lol