chapter twenty-eight

You wake up to the sound of distant talking coming from downstairs. You get up and head down to the kitchen. The smell of syrup and bacon hits your nose, causing your stomach to growl a bit. You see your dad putting cooked bacon on plates that are already full with pancakes and eggs. Your mom is at the other counter, pouring a mug of coffee.

"Merry Christmas... Eve."

You smile at your mother, and Dad hands you two plates of food to set at yours and Lola's spots at the dining table. Lola comes down soon after and pours herself a cup of coffee, still half asleep.

It was always a tradition for you guys to eat breakfast together on Christmas and Christmas Eve. Normally, you and Dad would cook it and your mom would decorate cookies with Lola to hand to neighbors and friends. But traditions change as time passes.

You sit down with your iced coffee and take a bite of your breakfast. You've always been more of a waffle person, but pancakes are good too. Your family doesn't talk much at breakfast since you literally just saw each other before you went to sleep.

It's Christmas Eve which means the agenda for today consists of hanging the last two ornaments on the tree, you and Lola get new ornaments every year from your parents, and preparing for tomorrow. You'll also be watching How the Grinch Stole Christmas (a tradition you started) and going downtown to see the decorations.

After eating, your mom handed you and Lola little bags.

"Okay go ahead and open them."

Yours was a miniature clapboard. You smiled. "Awh I love it. Thank you."

(if you don't know what that is, look it up and you'll understand)

Lola's was the mascot of the university she is going to next year. Both of you hung them up, and then you all lounged around the house for a while.

Lola and your dad went grocery shopping so Mom can cook Christmas Dinner tomorrow. You always have a honey roasted ham, potatoes, vegetables, and some type of desert.

"Merry Christmas guys!!" AJ texted on the cast group chat. A chain of Merry Christmases came from everyone.

When Lola got back home, you and her hung out in her bedroom. She talked about this girl she met a few weeks ago and how she had a crush on her but was scared to make a move.

"You've always been so bold, it's weird to see you unsure of yourself," you say.

"It's just that... well my gaydar definitely goes off with her, but what if I'm wrong?"

"Just talk to her. The worst that can happen is you lose a friend, and if that does, it wasn't worth it anyway."

She nods. "You're right. When I see her next, I'll tell her how I feel."

A part of you always knew your sister wasn't straight, but you wanted to let her come out on her own terms. She told you she was bi before she told anyone else, three months before she even told your parents. Both of you weren't sure how they would take it, but their reaction wasn't bad. They know she's the same kid she's always been, and she's their daughter so they need to support her. It took a bit for them to accept it fully, but they came around.

You were happy that your baby sister got to be herself around your family, at least the three of you.

"So how's your love life? Still dry as hell?"

"Damn that hurt. Well other than what I told you, pretty much... accept that one guy I dated for like a month if that. He was just so... I don't know."

"Boring?"

"Yeah pretty much."

As soon as the sun started to set, you all got ready to go downtown. You threw on a pair of black leggings, black combat boots, and an oversized hoodie to try and beat the cold.

The decorations downtown were always super extra and pretty. Christmas lights were displayed in different designs and on different buildings throughout the area. You guys also always loved to see the rich peoples' decorations in their front yards. It's crazy what people spend their money on, but it makes for a good sight.

"Y/n?" You turn around to see your old friend from high school.

"Conner! Hey!" You give him a small hug.

"Wow it's been years. How are you?"

"Doing pretty good. How about yourself, what have you been up to?"

"Me too. I just moved back here last summer to run Dad's business."

"Oh really? That's cool."

"Yeah. I heard you're a big LA star now, huh?" He bumped your shoulder.

You chuckle. "Something like that," you roll your eyes. "Man it's been so long."

"Yeah it has. Do you want to catch up later, if you get the chance before you leave?"

"Yeah I'd like that," you smile. He gives you his new number and says goodbye. You catch up with your family again.

"Ooh new love interest alert," Lola said, wiggling her eyebrows.

"Oh shut up, we're just old friends catching up."

"Sure, sure."

At around 8:40pm, you and your family head home to get into your pajamas and watch the annual movie. You eat dinner on the couch while Dad pulls up How the Grinch Stole Christmas with Jim Carey on Netflix. This movie was one of your favorites as a kid and you still love it to this day.

You curl up with your sister on the couch, occasionally fighting over who gets more of the blanket.

okay so this is just a little update for ya until i get a more detailed one up:)