Chapter 6

Zale

"Sweetheart! Did I know you were coming?" my mother asked as she swept out of her conference room. I frowned at her. She didn't normally ask questions like that – not my mother, who always knew her schedule and every detail I'd ever told her about mine.

"Surprise visit. You okay?" I asked, noting the furrow of her brow and the places where her hair pins had slid out of place. She didn't look as put together today, and it was enough to send a chill down my spine.

But before my eyes, my mother squared her shoulders and fixed me with a very direct sort of look, one that had me dismissing my concerns. This was the mother I knew and loved. "Don't you worry about me, Zale. I'm fine. Will you still be here for dinner?"

I didn't miss the way her eyes darted back toward the conference room she had just been in, and I knew she must have rushed out before they were done. That, too, was very unusual. Usually, decorum came first – even with her own son. At least, it did when we were out in the public part of the castle. "Yeah, I'll be here for dinner."

"Yes," my mother hissed under her breath.

The warmth of fondness swelled in my chest. Gods, I missed my mother when I was away. I dipped into a courtly bow and smirked at her. "Yes, I would be delighted to stay for dinner, Mother."

Her eyes twinkled at me. "Good. Then we can speak more later." She nodded at me and left.

I set off for my destination – the library – and was nearly there before I realized the strangest part about our whole interaction. I had felt an unusual variety of emotions during what was a very short conversation. I should have been exhausted by any amount of social contact. I should have been yearning for my bed and ruing the mission that had sent me here when I should have been enjoying a lazy Saturday. Instead, I was feeling almost... normal.

I shook off the thought and strode into the library.

I stood just inside the doorway for a few moments, taking in the space where I had spent so many hours growing up. This had been where I met with countless tutors, though you wouldn't know it now. The freestanding chalkboard had been removed, along with the lectern and desk. The only hint that this had been a classroom at all was the small patch of worn carpet where I'd scuffed my shoes for hours during the more boring lectures.

My home base within the library might be gone, but I still knew the rest of the place like it was my second home. So, I didn't need to seek out a librarian or go to the old card catalogue. I walked straight to one of the far end of the library, a few rows down, where books about beings from other realms were kept. It was a small section since those kinds of books were hard to find and no one who managed a merfolk library would perceive much use value to these particular tomes anyway.

I didn't mind. These would at least give me a start.

I took out the thickest volume we had on fae and tucked it under my arm. The books here were meant to be checked out so they could be tracked, but no way was I doing that. Besides, the odds of getting scolded for this were low. No one wanted to land themselves on the bad side of the sole prince and heir to the kingdom. I wasn't above taking advantage of that when it suited me.

On my way out, I snagged one more book. Then I went to my suite and shut myself away until dinnertime.

--

"What brings you here?" my mother asked as she delicately cut her filet.

"A man can't miss his mother?" I asked.

She laughed lightly. "A man can. But I asked why you came."

Well, she had to find out eventually. It would probably be best if she started making arrangements now. I set down my fork and knife, prompting my mother to do the same. I had her full attention.