Part 16: Pointless comfort.

"FIORA!!"

You know that feeling when you have butterflies in your stomach, but they seem to have got lost and ended up in your chest?

That's what I felt when I heard Dimitrescu scream my name from upstairs. She sounded like a disappointed Mother; like if you'd done something wrong and you were being called downstairs, it was that same tone.

So, I got up, composing myself for a moment, then trudging downstairs.

When I got there, it was... strange, really. Dimitrescu was sitting on the couch, looking fairly calm, nothing out of the ordinary.

"Did you call me?"

"Ah, yes, Dear. Take a seat" Her voice was low and breathy as she patted the seat next to her.

I did as she asked, holding my breath.

"Would you like a drink?"

"Please."

She poured me some wine into a cup, handing me it as I took a small sip.

Dimitrescu gazed off into the distance for a moment.

"What did you want?"

Instead of replying, she just ignored me, still gazing off.

"Alcina?"

"What's wrong, Dear?"

"You called me. What did you want?"

She sighed, returning to reality and placing down the drink.

"Bela's dead."

I acted surprised. Sad, even.

She clearly knew something was off; there was no attempt to comfort me, not a tear shed from her eyes. She just looked mad.

"That's not the bad part."

"What?"

"The bad part is, you knew. You knew she was dead, you knew where the...murderer was, and you even had a polite conversation with him!"

"No, Alcina, let me explain-"

"No. I won't hear a word of it. You backstabbed me! All these years I've treated you so well, and what do I get in return? A dead daughter."

"I told him the way out of the castle! I tried to get him out of here so he wouldn't cause any more trouble!"

"I don't care what you told him!" She spat. Her demeanor had altered completely, now, she was sitting up straight, glaring at me, as we were both on the verge of tears.

"I don't care, all I care about is the fact that all of this could've been averted if you'd have just shot him!"

"I know and I'm sorry!"

"But sorry doesn't bring Bella back, now does it Fiora?!"

"No, and I know and I-"

I suddenly just hugged her, sobbing, all the emotions, all that previous dread, a whole of it, a whole year, just being let go.

"Let go of me."

"I can't."

She sighed, shaking her head.

"Clingy," Alcina whispered, laughing to herself a little.

I laughed through tears, as she just shook her head.

"No, come on now, get off, we need to address the situation. Bela's dead, then Daniella, then Cassandra, then you or me. "

"I know. That's what I'm worried about," I cried, as she pushed my head away gently.

She nodded, stroking my hair, shushing me.

"It's okay, dear. You'll be fine. He won't get past either of us. Now, I don't want you going near him again. Ever. If you see him, come straight to me, understand?"

"Yes."

"Yes, who?"

"Yes, Lady Dimitrescu."

She smiled, placing me on her lap as I nuzzled into her shoulder, closing my eyes, drifting off as I heard her say.

"I won't let him hurt you. Ever."

---------------------------------------------------

ty for reading! might be a delay since I'm going on holiday but I'll try and post ASAP!💞