Part 12: Eva.

sorry for the wait! I'll try to post sooner, I've just been busy working on other things. 

(and speedrunning re8 but shh)

-----------------------------------

And, once again, I look.

The begonias, heliotropes, gardenias, and blue roses had all been crushed under a thick layer of snow, as the cold, crisp winter returned.

Snow fell from above and a frosty wind blew harshly against the bushes, the sun back in hiding behind the dark, greyish clouds.

I was rather reeled by the sight. All of our work, gone forever. A blank canvas.

"Winter's back, darling," She whispered gently into my ear, standing behind me, running her fingers through my hair.

"It's all gone," I said, a strong, wistful tone in my voice.

"Don't be sad, sweet. We just have to wait till next summer, then we can do it all over again."

"What if next summer never comes again?"

"Don't catastrophize, dear, it's not good for your health. Seasons are bound to happen. We just have to wait till this passes."

"But what if it-" I sighed. "What if something happens? Surely no summer can be as perfect as the one we just had."

"No. No summer can be as perfect, but that doesn't mean the next can't be even more perfect," She smiled, closing the door to the courtyard.

"Now what, dearest?" Dimitrescu turned to me, moving some hair out of my face.

"Good question. Well, what should we do? We have so much."

"Well, all I'm going to suggest is that I do have a room with a pool full of wine. We could spend some time together."

"But I don't have a bikini."

"No matter," She whispered, finishing with a curt smile.

I just smiled back, giggling, moving to kiss her.

We were so close, our lips nearly intertwined.

Then, there was a loud knocking at the door.

"Goddammit," I sighed, her pulling away.

"You can do the honors, my sweet," Dimitrescu smiled, gesturing to the door.

"As I shall, my lady," I joked, sauntering towards where she'd pointed.

I opened the door quickly, to be greeted by-

The ugly, mutated, fish person. Moreau. Him.

And more surprisingly, he was holding a child....a very small child..

"What are you doing here? Hurry up, I'm busy,"

"You don't need to b-be mean! Mother just told me to give this to Lady Dimitrescu,"

He stuttered, holding the child out.

"Why? We don't have any more room, we have five people living here. Give it to Heisenburg."

"No! Mama told me to give it to her."

"Well, I'm telling you to go away," I sighed, crossing my arms and establishing my position.

Moreau shook his head.

"You can't tell me what to do! You're just the Lady's pet!"

I smiled cruelly. "I can't tell you what to do, but I can still make you do it. And, how many times? I'm not a pet."

"Yes you are. You're just a stupid puppy for the lady to own."

I just sighed.

"If you say so. I'm not going to carry on this conversation. I'll go get her if you really want me to."

"Yeah, go get the lady, I don't want to talk to you."

I did as he asked, leaving the two of them to talk, sitting on the couch, waiting patiently.

Finally, after a while, she walked back in, shutting the door, looking proud of herself.

Dimitrescu was holding the child.

"You kept them?"

"Kept the baby? Why, of course."

"What's a baby? You mean a small child."

"Sweet, you don't know what a baby is?" She seemed to laugh.

"No?"

"When a child is born, you call it a baby." She took a moment, smiling to herself.

"But this dear child is so much more than a baby."

"How so?"

"She will be the next Eva."

"Who? What? I-" I sighed. "Elaborate,"

"Mother Miranda's new daughter. The vessel for her child."

"Oh. At least they'll be another human around here."

"For a moment, she'll be back with Miranda within about a day."

"So we have a day to take care of her,"

"Yes, dear."

"Okay. That's fine. How do we do that?"

The child seemed to stir for a moment, waking up, looking around, and starting to cry, as Dimitrescu desperately, hopelessly, shushed her.

Eventually, she sighed.

"Would you like to try?"

"I mean... I'm not good with other humans, honestly, I'm better with animals..."

Dimitrescu passed me Eva, me holding her gently, shushing, rocking her slowly.

She seemed to quieten down, looking up at me with tears in her eyes.

"She likes you, dear,"

"As if."

I smiled down at Eva, her eventually smiling back at me.

"Aww. She's adorable."

I looked back up to Dimitrescu, who seemed entranced by me. She seemed deep in thought, much like she always was around me. Always watching me, mentally noting how I'd acted, what I'd done, taking a moment of contemplation to try and understand my thoughts, feelings, emotions.

"Give her back here, sweet, Miranda told me to try and get her off to sleep, and we want to impress her, don't we?"

"Of course."

Dimitrescu took her off me, lifting Eva, heading towards her room, gesturing for me to follow her.