56: Do You Think I'd Look Good in Blue?

Start from the beginning

Pierre:
Already? When did that happen? I'm pretty sure it was October just yesterday.

Evan:
As if!
How are you doing with those scholarship applications?

Pierre:
I already applied for a few. But it would be much easier if someone could come over and press 'send' for me. Just saying.

Evan:
Very subtle. See you in five ;)

I stick my phone into my pocket, along with the hourglass. As Peter remarks when I reach his doorstep, I take far less than five minutes to get there.

☆ ☽ ☆

Elaine hugs me tightly, and I let her stay there for as long as she needs. Behind her, Randall's car lingers.

I haven't spoken to him since I got my new phone, although I sent him my number. He stretches as he climbs out of the driver's seat, smiling a little. When Elaine isn't watching, he slips a folded envelope into my hands.

"That's for you. I should have given it to you a long time ago, but... other interferences got in the way," Randall says.

"Thank you." My voice is hoarse, as if it has become a separate entity. "You don't have—"

He interrupts, "Don't mention it."

I stick the envelope into my pocket and head to Europa's passenger seat. Peter is waiting with the music at a low volume, and his eyes soften when I meet his gaze.

Elaine shimmies into the middle of the back seat. "You're coming with us?" she asks him.

"Evan needed a driver," Peter says.

We coast through the streets to the mall. Elaine hooks her arm underneath mine and drags me along, passing the stores in a blur. I have to jog to keep up with her.

"Come on! It's been forever since I've had a soft pretzel. I've been waiting all week to have one."

My neck cranes behind me to make sure Peter is still following. A sparse crowd gathers in the stores and ebbs around us. Mostly teenagers my age, and sometimes younger. A few families chain-linked and walking in unison.

"We'd better get on that," I say as we approach the counter.

I order one for myself as well as for Elaine. She watches the workers prepare the order with wide eyes and practically reaches over the counter to accept it. "Thank you!"

The salty scent of the pretzel attaches itself to the air. Butter seeps through the paper it's held in as I find my way to the seating area.

My eyes scan across the groups of people. Peter lowers himself next to me.

I tear off a piece of the food. "Do you want some?"

"Sure." He leans forward and takes it. "What are you looking at?"

A woman is standing in front of Atmosphere, rifling through her purse. Her blonde highlights are not too different from Carolyn's hair. The napkin crumples beneath my grip.

"Ah," Peter says and pauses. "You're still looking."

I nod weakly. Elaine paces around me, charged with energy, finishing her pretzel. She ushers me to my feet and ducks into the nearest clothing store.