057

SKYLAR CARLISE.
SIENNALAIR
JAN 2 . AFTERNOON

I sit on Koray's bed, my legs dangling. How high does this halfwit need his bed? It might as well be a bunk bed without the bottom bed, and not at all because I'm short.

I watch him rummage through his satchel. Over the past few days, we've developed a game, where I steal something from him, and he tries to catch me in the act.

He thinks he's winning, but really, I'm just going easy on the guy.

"So you said you're a thief?" I ask him, with a smirk.

Koray reads my condescending expression, easy, and ignores me.

I continue, "You seem kind of clunky for a thief. You're not so good at pickpocket crap, are you?"

He continues to ignore me.

I get up and walk towards him, tilting my head to get a better look at his face. He's... worried about something. "Not in a chatty mood? It's okay. We can settle for small talk."

"Or we can not talk at all," Koray says, annoyed (I'm doing my job well). "I wish I let you get thrown into prison."

I laugh at his face. "Aww, too late now, sweetheart."

"Isn't it a bit early for pet names?" he says with a raised eyebrow.

With his attention finally on me, my fingers reach for a marble on his desk, graceful from experience. "Never too early when you're hot."

"You're a human."

"Whoa, slow down with the flattery," I say, as I deftly hide the marble in a pocket. "I'm not into guys."

"So you're into girls?"

"No," I reply, my voice lazy and mock-sweet.

Koray returns his attention to his desk. His gaze wanders to where the marble was, and he freezes when he realizes it's gone. His eyes, blue but in an obsidian way, flash to me.

They narrow. "Skylar..."

I smile, self-satisfied. "Who's the better thief n—"

"Give it back." He cuts through my words, his own sharp and cold.

I study him. So the marble's important. A smile dances on my lips. "Don't you know interrupting a lady is rude?"

"Give it back, Skylar."

"Rule one, sweetheart." He takes in me and the smug look on my face, and refrains from punching me. "Never keep your eyes off a thief's hands."

Koray looks frustrated beyond belief. "You want attention or something?"

I look him up and down. "Something like that," I say and sit on his bed, letting my legs dangle innocently.

He watches me. I make sure not to give any hints where the marble is.

I smile again at him, and he glares. "So what's so important about the marble, anyway?"

"That's none of your business."

Smart, I guess. If I knew what it could do, I'd probably hold onto it tighter. I hum. "Hm, okay."

There's a heavy silence between us. "Are you gonna give it back?"

I pretend to consider it. "Nah."

"Hell, you're annoying."

"Uh-huh."

He sits in the chair and regards me. I grin.

"Giving your brain a much-needed workout, are you?"