<Chapter 3: The Party>

Laia's POV

Lex was having a party. I disagreed, thinking it would be a bad idea. But he insisted on it.

"Lais." He said, calling me by my nickname. I turned to him. "Can you go see if my special guests have arrived yet. Please?" I sighed and nodded. "Thanks." I walked outside, keeping my head down so I wouldn't be noticed by the paparazzi. I saw a small car pull up and a guy get out of it. He looked familiar.

"Who's that?" I heard Clark Kent from the dailyplanet ask.

"You must be new to the let them eat cake beat." A photographer said. "That is Bruce Wayne." I felt my body become tense at the name. I turned around and walked back inside to get ready for the party. 

(Time Skip)

(Time Skip)

I played with the sleeves of my dress, uncomfortable.

"Stop it." Lex said, pushing my hands down. "You look fine." I gave him thankful smile.

"Philanthropist, bibliophile, true friend of the Library of Metropolis, Mr. Lex Luthor." The hostess said. Everyone turned to us and clapped.

"Me?" He asked. "Ah! Okay." I took his arm and we walked up the front. I let go of his arm and he walked up onto the stage. "Nicky. Uh..." He kissed her cheek. "You're embarrassing me. Um...Speech? Speech, uh, blah, blah, blah...Uh, open bar." He chuckled. "The end. Uh..." Everyone laughed. "Yep. Well, first of all, I would like to say, that none of this, any of this, would have been possible without my younger sister." They applauded, looking at me. I chuckled, nervously. "Okay, um...The word philanthropist come from the Greek." I felt someone's eyes on me. "Meaning a lover of humanity." I turned around to see Bruce Wayne staring at me. "It was coined about 2,500 years ago." I looked away. There was no possible way it was him. I decided to pay attention to Lex's speech again. "...Gods and men. Prometheus went with us. And he ruined Zeus' plan to destroy mankind and for that, he was given a thunderbolt. Choo!" People laughed. "Hmm, that seems unfair. Um..." He chuckled. "On a serious note, the Library of Metropolis was saved after I bought it. But one at a time. Dad could not buy them, no. My father could not afford books growing up. He had to root through the garbage for yesterday's newspaper." I turned around and saw that Bruce Wayne was gone. Where did he go? I turned back around. "Books are knowledge, and knowledge is power and I'm..." He chuckled, nervously. "No. Uh, um...No. What am I? I...What was I saying? No..." A look of concern grew on my face. "The bittersweet pain among men is having knowledge with no power, because..." He inhaled. "Because that is paradoxical! And um..." He chuckled. "Thank you for coming." People clapped, slowly. "Please drink. Drink." He passed the microphone to Nicky and walked off the stage to me.

"Are you alright?" I asked, concerned.

"I'm fine, Lais." He said. "Just got stage fright."

"But you never get stage fright." I said.

"I know." He said. "It's crazy, right?" He worried me. Something wasn't right. He looked away from me. "Oh, there they are!" I looked to see Clark Kent talking to Bruce Wayne. Lex walked over with me following behind. "Boys! Mm!" They turned to us. "Bruce Wayne meets Clark Kent. Ha! I love it. Ilove bringing people together. How are we?"  

 How are we?"  

"Lex." Bruce said, shaking Lex's hand.

"Hello." Lex said. "Good." He turned to Clark. "Hi, hello, Lex." He shook Clark's hand. "It is a pleas—ow! Wow! That is a good grip! You should not pick a fight with this person." He chuckled. "Ha! You all know my younger sister." Clark held his hand out. I shook it.

"It's a pleasure." He said.

"You too." I said. We let go. Bruce held his hand out to me. I slowly reached out and shook his hand. His hands were even familiar. I let go and put my hand back at my side.

"So, after all these years, we finally got you over to Metropolis." Lex said, looking at Bruce.

"Well, I thought I'd come drink you dry." Bruce said.

"Well, you're welcome." Lex said. "You should hop the harbor more often, though. I'd love to show you my labs. Maybe we could...could partner on something. My R&D is up to all sorts of no good." Isn't that the truth.

" Isn't that the truth

"Mr. Luthor." Mercy said.

"Yes?" Lex said.

"The Governor." She said.

"Governor." He said. "Excuse me."

"Next time." Bruce said.

"Governor!" Lex said, walking away with Mercy. "Hi!" Clark and Bruce turned to me.

"Are you enjoying the party?" Bruce asked.

"Um...yes." I said.

"You have an accent." Clark said. "Might I ask, where are you from?"

"I was born in Europe." I said.

"What part?" Bruce asked.

"Estonia." I said. Bruce looked at me like he remembered something. "Um, I should go. Enjoy the party." I walked away.