CHAPTER NINETEEN

Hanna sits in front of the Hastings' fireplace staring into the flames, lost in a daze, dressed in a pink robe after showering at Spencer's

Hanna sits in front of the Hastings' fireplace staring into the flames, lost in a daze, dressed in a pink robe after showering at Spencer's. They had all decided to leave the party, Hanna wanting to go more than anything but didn't want to admit that in front of Caleb. It wasn't until Caleb practically forced Hanna into Caitlin's car that she finally agreed to it. Jason decided he would stay back and fix everything up at the lakehouse with Caleb who was looking at Jason for answers to what happened with his girlfriend.

"Here's some aspirin," Caitlin walks over to the couch Hanna was sitting on, placing the tablets in the blonde's hands

"You want me to make you some soup?" Aria, who had rushed straight over after Caitlin's text, takes a seat on the other side of Hanna.

"Thanks but I'm not hungry," Hanna's voice comes out soft.

"You want another blanket?" Spencer calls from behind her, picking up an extra blanket she brought down from upstairs.

"Sure," Hanna accepts the blanket Spencer wraps around her shoulders.

"Here's your bag," Emily walks over with Hanna's purse, "I think Caleb called. Your phone was making a noise."

Hanna doesn't respond just stares at the fire in front of her. Spencer sighs taking a seat behind Hanna, "Han, I know that you might not be ready to talk about this but the sheriff said that they're going to drag the lake first thing in the morning."

"Lucas isn't in the lake," Hanna doesn't remove her gaze from the fireplace.

"He didn't come up to shore," Emily states gently, "we waited."

"He knows how to swim, all right?" Hanna snaps glancing at Emily who quickly closed her mouth, "he's out there somewhere. I can feel it."

"I—I still can't believe that Lucas would help A," Aria shakes her head in disbelief.

"Why not?" Spencer raises an eyebrow, "Jenna did the same thing with Caleb. A knows Lucas is close to Hanna."

"No," Aria shakes her head correcting herself, "I—I get it, I just...don't really see Lucas as being that violent."

"He can be," Hanna interjects glancing up at the girls, "Lucas was the one who destroyed Alison's memorial. I found out the night I got out of the hospital."

"Why didn't you tell us?" Caitlin asks softly rubbing her hand up and down Hanna's back slowly trying to comfort the blonde.

"Told me to keep a secret," Hanna answers simply.

"Why?"

"To protect him. He's been through a lot," Hanna explains softly, "Alison really tortured him."

"Maybe it's time to start protecting you," Spencer suggests gently.

Hanna sighs, "I have a headache," Hanna puts the aspirin that Caitlin had given her into her mouth sifting through the bag in front of her to find her water bottle. She picks it up, lifting it into her mouth but Caitlin quickly stops her taking note of the lake water.