CHAPTER TEN

"It was just the two of you sitting in Garrett's car?" Hanna questions from the backseat of Spencer's car

"It was just the two of you sitting in Garrett's car?" Hanna questions from the backseat of Spencer's car. The four friends were currently waiting outside the Fields residence for Emily to fix up the alarm the system the renters had set off once again. To occupy their time, Spencer decided to tell the girls about her encounter with Garrett in his car.

"I didn't know where else to meet him," Spencer defends herself from the driver's seat, "it wasn't like I could ask him that stuff down at the precinct."

"How did you get away from him?" Aria pipes in from the back beside Hanna.

"When you sent me that text, I told him it was from my mum. She wanted me home asap," Spencer explains holding up her hand that was shaking slightly, "am I still shaking? I'm still shaking."

"Yeah, we're all shaking," Hanna responds sarcastically, "can you turn on the heat? You could make a slushy back here."

"Guys, why would Jenna give him that lantern?" Aria questions, bringing the conversation of Jenna back as Caitlin reaches over to turn the heater on.

"You don't know that she gave it to him," Hanna points out.

Spencer scoffs, "what do you think, he bought it at the blind artists' crafts fair? Of course, she gave it to him. The question is, when did they become buddies? And why?"

"Spencer, they grew up across the street from each other. His parents still live in that house," Caitlin speaks up for the first time that night. Spencer glances over at her but Caitlin avoids her gaze. Things were still tense between the girls since Spencer accused Jason and it had not gone unnoticed by the blonde in the backseat who was well aware of the fact that Jason was now on the suspect list after Caitlin climbed through her window going on a rant about it.

"Yeah, maybe he's just bringing raw meat to Jenna's cat," Hanna adds in backing her friend up.

"Toby lives there too, and they don't have a cat," Spencer points out.

"Then maybe he was bringing over raw meat for Jenna," Hanna shrugs making Caitlin chuckle lightly.

"Here comes Em," Aria says, glancing out the window to see Emily rushes over to Spencer's car, trying to escape the cold breeze.

"Who's living in her house now?" Caitlin asks shifting in her seat to look at Hanna.

"Some losers who can't figure out the alarm system," Hanna explains as she and Aria move down so Emily could get in, "they've tripped it like three times. The security company keeps calling her mum in Texas."

"Everything okay?" Spencer asks looking over at Emily when she opened the door.

"Yeah, it's fine," Emily nods closing the car door, "it's just so weird to walk in there and see other people's stuff."

"Hey, why don't you tell 'em to lay off the alarm for a couple of days?" Hanna looks over at Emily.

"I'm guessing they don't feel safe."