𝐈𝐈𝐈. A DESIRE TO BE USEFUL

Start from the beginning

     Smirking, he slipped the paper into the pocket of his jeans, "I'll swing by there after Atlanta.".

A smile plastered onto her lips, "Thank you, Glenn. I appreciate it. Stay safe out there, alright? Walkers are everywhere.".

He replied with a tip of his baseball hat as the young teen giggled, making her way down to the quarry.

Walkers...it was a weird name for the dead...but it suited them well.

Apparently Glenn had came up with the term, as his first night at camp, he referred to the cannibals as walkers.

"Taylor, hey!" She heard Amy call out to her, and the young teen perked her head up, seeing the strawberry blonde waving her over down by the crystal clear water that made up the quarry lake.

"You wanna wash clothes with us!?" Andrea asked, holding up a balled—up shirt.

Amy was a young adult, the younger sister to Andrea, and the two had arrived at camp together around the same time that Glenn had.

"Morning you guys." Taylor smiled, sitting down between Amy and Jacqui.

     Jacqui was a young woman who worked in the city, but as soon as the Governor called for evacuation, she fled the city, and arrived at the camp a few days later.

     As Carol scrubbed a shirt on a
washing—board, she asked the young teen, "Have you gotten yourself some breakfast yet?".

     "No," Taylor sighed, grabbing a shirt from the pile of laundry, "I will after laundry is done, though.".

     Lori chuckled, folding up a shirt she had just finished scrubbing, "You sound like Carl. He says he'll eat breakfast, but he never does; he's too busy playing with Sophia and Morales's kids.".

     Morales arrived at camp a week ago with his wife Miranda and their two kids, Eliza and Louis.

     The young teen giggled at Lori's remark as she folded the shirt she cleaned, "Any of you seen Daryl and Merle this morning? They took of without letting me know again.".

     Amy gestured off into the woods, "Dale said he saw them bright and early heading into the woods. My guess is another hunting trip.".

     Taylor hummed with a nod, grabbing another shirt to wash, 'Why do they always run off without telling me. I know I'm only thirteen, but I'd still like to know, it worries me...'.

•••
DARYL

     DARYL AND MERLE HAD BEEN OUT
in the woods since morning sunrise, and now the sun was nowhere to be seen in the sky.

     Before shit went down, Daryl spent most of his days hunting in the woods from dawn until dark, especially when his old man was off sleeping with some girl, and Merle was locked up for some shit.

      The only time he ever seemed to leave the woods was when some extra cash needed to be
made in order to pay the monthly bills, so the young Dixon would scan the newspaper ads for a part—time job that would pay him a decent little cash grab.

     Sometimes Chris would pitch in to help the Dixon brothers with financial issues, but ever since Taylor came around, he couldn't afford to give away the spare money.