Chapter 1 - May The Odds Ever Be In Your Favor

Start from the beginning

I jumped from branch to branch hoping to find water or possible food, fruitlessly. 

When the darkness clouded my sight I decided to call it a day and climbed as high as possible. No one would be able to spot me here, not even during daylight. 

I was so used to sleeping on trees that I did not worry about falling. 

The hymn started and with it the pictures of the deceased tributes. One of district 3, both of 5, one of 6 to 10 and both of 12. Ten deaths on the first day. Thirteen opponents still out there, willing to kill me. 

I was not sure if Jack would kill me without hesitation. He was fifteen, two years younger than me. We had never interacted at home, but he was still out of district 11. I wanted to believe that he would not frivolously kill me. The other people of district 11 would not approve that either.

On the next day I did not have any success either. No water. No food. But also no encounter with another tribute. I had seen the two careers of district one, but they had not noticed me up in the tree. 

At the end of the day three people had died. Left were all careers, the boy of district 7, the girl of district 9, Jack, me and who else again? Not like it would make a difference. I could not kill anyone anyway. And if I did not find any water soon I would die of dehydration. Honestly I had already achieved more than I had expected.

I woke up when I heard a scream. It was a familiar voice, followed by a cannon sound. Jack. 

I saluted to send him off to a better place. At least he would not suffer anymore, unlike me. 

The sun was rising again. Panic filled me for a moment as I realized how close Jack's voice had sounded. 

I concentrated on my surrounding and made out several voices. Luckily they faded slowly. 

When I felt safe enough I moved on to search for water. I felt dizzy, but ignored it. 

After a while I sank to my knees, frustration filling me. Intuitively my hand moved to my necklace. Rue. I had to return to her. She was watching me right now. Probably her whole family was watching me, my family. 

"Don't move", I heard Rue whisper. 

I complied and saw a tribute wandering around, only a few feet away from me. 

"He will guide you the way to the water", she encouraged me. 

Silently I followed him, still on my trees. And he indeed led me to the life saving liquid. 

I waited until he had left before drinking eagerly.

 Confusion hit me. Had I just talked to Rue? The dehydration really had had me in a strong grip to make me imagine things like that. 

Skillfully, I got back onto the nearest tree and searched for a good one as a base. It took me a while but I found a great one. I could overlook the whole area near the water from here. So, I could safely make it to the water, when no one was around. Though I was still worried about getting food.

Days passed with only two more casualties. The boy of 4 and the girl of 9. 

When I woke up one morning the earth began to shake underneath me. An earthquake?! The water vanished into the ground and the trees fell one after another. 

I quickly jumped onto falling trees hoping that I would not get crashed underneath one of them. The falling trees were forcing me into a specific direction until I arrived at the open area surrounding the cornucopia. 

An arrow hit my leg making me crumble. I had been driven directly into the arms of the careers. 

The girl of 1 approached me with her sword, ready to finish me off but the boy of 2 stopped her by calling out for her. The other careers surrounded me.